Chapter 36

Slowly, Amy stepped out of the bedroom and looked into the expectant faces of Taiki, Yaten, Haruka, and Makoto. Seiya jumped up immediately upon seeing Amy. "How is she? Is she seriously injured?" he wanted to know.

Haruka and Yaten exchanged a brief glance, both relieved that Taiki seemed oblivious to Seiya's feelings. However, they both agreed that if he continued this way, everyone would soon notice.

"She's doing fine so far. I gave her something to help her sleep so her body can recover. She should be back on her feet tomorrow morning. Since Makoto mentioned that she wasn't feeling well, I took some blood just as a routine check, just to be sure. If there's anything off with her levels, I'll call you," Amy explained professionally, her eyes fixed on Taiki, who struggled not to look directly at her. Then he stood up. "All right. I really appreciate you coming," he said, leading Amy to the door. For a brief moment, his fingers brushed against hers. "I'll check in later," he whispered to her softly, but she could see how much this situation weighed on him.

Taiki closed the door behind Amy and gathered his focus, straightening his shoulders as he returned to the group. "This can't go on like this. Serena needs around-the-clock care from now on. Plus, we need to intensify the search for her siblings to further advance the fathers' overthrow. Seiya, contact Chiba and ask him for a meeting soon. Yaten, try to keep a closer eye on Kenji's people, especially this Rubeus," Taiki rattled off his thoughts.

Seiya was already reaching for his phone, but Yaten snatched it before he could even unlock the screen. "No need to call Chiba. He's been in America for a few days. Rei gave him a hard time before reluctantly taking over the business, and I really don't know if we want her involved... You know how she can be," Yaten explained coolly. "When were you planning to tell us that?" Taiki asked, annoyed that Yaten repeatedly kept information to himself. "No one asked about him anymore. So why stir up sleeping dogs? I've said multiple times that we don't need Chiba. Plus, Setsuna is onto him and will find out who his wife is for me. That's why I needed him in America. How else is she going to follow him?" Yaten explained the basics of his plan. "I also think we should inform Chiba, but let's wait until after the holidays. He can't stay in America forever. By then, we should be able to handle Serena's security on our own, as we've been doing. It'll be fine," Haruka suggested diplomatically.

Taiki relaxed a bit and took his seat again. "Good, then get your calendars out, and let's see how this fits. As long as she stays here in the apartment or in the tower, nothing should happen. Neither Father nor Kenji have been up here, and Yaten can surely add more security measures here, right?" he said, while Yaten nodded in agreement.

The five of them sat together for several hours, planning who would accompany Usagi to which events and when each of them should be reachable for her. Seiya looked at his calendar. Tomorrow morning was entirely reserved for him since Taiki had a conference, and Makoto had some matters to attend to regarding the homeless. Yaten remained vague, but his brother's gaze was clear. "Could anyone maybe switch with me tomorrow morning? I think I forgot about a meeting at the harbor," Seiya asked the group, trying to escape the situation. "No, Seiya, forget it. You already have the fewest shifts. We've been sitting here for hours. Reschedule your appointment, or I'll go in your place. The swapping is over now," Haruka grumbled irritably. They continued to have some drinks and talked about various things. It was well past midnight when the group dispersed, and Usagi still hadn't shown up.

Taiki stood in front of the bed in the bedroom, contemplating his sleeping wife with a thoughtful look. She looked so innocent yet had endured so much recently. A sigh escaped his lips before he unbuttoned his shirt, took off his pants, and also lay down. Initially, it was strange for him to share a bed with her, but by now, he had grown accustomed to her steady breathing. It even comforted him in a certain way.