Chapter 45

"So, I think that was the last one," Usagi said, beaming and wiping her forehead. "You can't imagine how grateful I am that you did the shopping yesterday." Her gaze scanned the numerous bags she had packed and the few small parcels she had lovingly wrapped.

"That was no problem, especially if you had to take care of Seiya... How is he, by the way?" Makoto asked, setting aside a stack of bags.

"Um... he's been doing quite well. Taiki is with him now," Usagi said, trying to sound casual, but she felt her cheeks flush at the thought of the previous day.

"That sounds good... By the way, how did you envision distributing the Christmas bags? I mean, we have quite a few packed here," Makoto asked, looking inquisitively at Usagi.

As Usagi explained her plan to distribute Christmas bags to homeless children, it sounded like a beautiful idea. However, filling them on the morning of Christmas Eve was already tight, and they didn't even have an idea of how they would distribute them. The homeless center wasn't open yet due to the final renovations, but Makoto felt that it wouldn't stop Usagi.

"I think we can do it tomorrow, in the areas where we distributed blankets. People have seen us several times, and they are starting to trust us," she suggested, with a sad note in her voice. Memories of Chibiusa and Shingo suddenly overwhelmed her without warning. This would be the first Christmas without them. Without her family, and she didn't even know if they were doing well.

"Serena? Is everything okay?" Makoto asked concerned, handing her a tissue when she noticed the rising tears.

"Yeah... I was just lost in thought... But everything is fine. I'm going back up; we're done here, right?" Makoto nodded with a gentle smile. "Yes, I wish you a lovely evening. I'll be heading to my family soon. Just let me know when you need me tomorrow, okay? And check the kitchen before, there's something for you." Usagi blinked at her in confusion for a moment, then she understood what Makoto meant, and her face instantly lit up as she spotted the fine dessert.

"Are these...?" she began.

"Lemon muffins. A whole batch just for you. Merry Christmas, Serena."

Usagi's grin widened, and she quickly took the first bite of this delicious creation. "These are absolutely delicious," Usagi mumbled with her mouth full and grabbed the large cake plate and the basket of her gifts. Makoto helped her safely get everything into the elevator.

The elevator door opened on the top floor, and Usagi tried to push everything into the hallway as gracefully as possible without losing her balance. Her eyes were constantly fixed on the muffins, which she didn't want to drop at any cost. She stumbled over one of the small packages and stumbled heavily; just in time, she managed to catch herself on the door.

Taiki and Seiya were sitting together in the living room when they heard the noise outside the apartment door. "Did you hear that too?" Taiki asked his brother, and Seiya nodded disinterestedly, continuing to concentrate on the TV. With a certain interest in where the noise came from, Taiki opened the apartment door, but he didn't get a chance to look around properly. Usagi, who had propped herself up against the door, fell into his arms. She was still trying to balance the lemon muffins in her hand. Instinctively, Taiki caught her, and she blinked up at him in surprise.

"What were you trying to do here?" he asked, slightly amused.

"I... uh... I stumbled, and just as I caught myself, you opened the door. Do you want a muffin too? These are from Makoto, and they're super delicious," Usagi enthused.

Taiki shook his head with a smile and placed Usagi back on her feet. "You have to be a bit more careful. Come on, go inside. I'll take the packages," he said, reaching for the packages that Usagi had tried to push with her foot.