Chapter 102

Triumphant, Kenji let his gaze sweep across the conference room. The number of participants was modest, but there were enough people present for him to implement his plan. With a narrow majority, they had a quorum.

Only Hiroshi Chiba was a thorn in his side. His rival sat directly opposite him at the other end of the long table, scrutinizing him closely. Every move he made was under strict observation, but he didn't care. His goal was within reach, and with none of those pesky Kou family members present, he felt secure that they hadn't found a way to restore their voting rights.

"If everyone is present, we can begin," he said, standing up. However, he was quickly interrupted. Hiroshi raised his hand to signal he had something to say. "Not so fast, old friend. As I see it, we still have 10 minutes until the appointed time, and I would like to wait," he said dryly, receiving a stern look from his counterpart.

Kenji decided not to ignite a debate over this, so he sat back down and anxiously looked at his watch. A quiet murmur filled the air as the minutes seemed to pass too slowly in his eyes.

Just before time was up, the door opened, and Mamoru entered. Hiroshi nodded approvingly to his son, who took a seat in the middle of the many empty chairs. His father had obviously managed to buy him enough time. Just before entering the conference room, Mamoru had been wired by Yaten, ensuring that all conversations would be captured clearly. That's why he chose a precise spot in the middle, so that all conversations could be equally well recorded. Kenji's expression was steely as he looked at the young Chiba, then turned his gaze to the door, as if expecting something. Another moment passed before he stood up to continue.

"So, now that we've reached the appointed time and most of the invited individuals are present, I'd like to begin," he resumed, watching Mamoru closely. Something about the younger Chiba's demeanor aroused his suspicion. Mamoru, however, gestured magnanimously for him to proceed.

"The situation in Tokyo is serious. After the terrible incident, the cause of which is still unknown, some major control points have collapsed, and some small outside companies are now trying to take over these areas. Furthermore, the Kou Corporation is on the brink of collapse, as my longtime friend Kakashi Kou has been seriously injured and my son-in-law is considered missing," he updated the other participants. Mamoru had already pursed his lips, ready to make a sharp comment on this hypocrisy. But Minako had told him multiple times, it was her fight, and he should stay out of it, even though it was difficult for him. Out of the corner of his eye, he glanced at his father, who merely had a crooked grin for Kenji's words.

"Spit it out, Tsukino, what are you getting at?" Hiroshi demanded harshly, drumming his fingers impatiently on the table. This did not faze Kenji, however. "What I'm getting at is the support of the leadership. I intend to bring my daughter back to my estate and from there oversee the Kou businesses. Of course, only until Kakashi recovers or my son-in-law reappears. There is urgent need for action, as the decline in their stock affects all of us negatively, and I fear no one else is adequately trained to manage the businesses."

Hiroshi snorted. "Suddenly the selfless father, of course, all just to relieve your daughter." Kenji slammed both hands on the table. "Are you insinuating something, Hiroshi?" he growled menacingly across the table.

The eyes of all involved flicked from one leader to the other, not daring to get involved in this discussion. Only Mamoru leaned back comfortably and left the field to his father, curious about the show that was about to unfold. He could barely suppress a mischievous smile, for he already knew how this conversation would end. As soon as he had informed his father of the plan, he knew that Hiroshi would enjoy provoking his rival.