Chapter 98

This task was far beneath her dignity, that much was clear to her. Reluctantly, she had complied with Yaten's request and was now checking the tower's underground garage for potential security breaches. He had personally inspected everything from the ground floor up, but he had almost forgotten this damn garage, and since he was currently on an out-of-office appointment, he couldn't handle this task himself. The only information she had received was that the electrical system was outdated and that there had been an issue since the renovation work, causing the lights to occasionally fail.

The cameras and sensors were the first things she checked. All were in place and working perfectly. The few small windows were barred from the outside and additionally equipped with motion sensors. She had attached the latest GPS devices to all the cars, which were already linked to her software. Only the automatic gate gave her some concerns, as she had intercepted the signal for it many times before. It had been child's play for her to open it without the required card, and she was quite certain that if someone wanted to gain access to the tower, they would use this weak point.

She tapped on her phone, making notes for potential improvements, but the range of options was limited. Furthermore, she noticed the deteriorating electrical wiring; Yaten's description of "slightly outdated" was a massive understatement. Shaking her head, Setsuna checked the old cables at various points and found the same condition everywhere. It was no wonder that the lights occasionally went out down here; it was more of a wonder that they were on at all. She finished her notes, sent them directly to the responsible departments, and made her way back to the elevator.

Suddenly, she noticed soft footsteps in the distance. They would have been barely perceptible to ordinary people, but her hearing was sharp, and her body reacted instinctively. Her left hand closed around the small knife in a holster on her thigh, while her right hand let her phone slide back into her handbag, her ears picking up the sound of the approaching steps. She took cover behind one of the concrete pillars.

Mentally, she reviewed the locations of the people with access to the tower. Seiya and Shingo were upstairs with Usagi, Amy was watching over Rei in the medical station with Kakashi in the presence of Hikari, and Minako was with Kaya in Yaten's apartment. Since the large gate had not opened, it was clear to her that it was not Yaten walking around here, as the parking spot for his favorite sports car was still empty.

Some lamps flickered out again, and the dim light from the far end cast a peculiar atmosphere over the underground garage. The killer felt a certain anticipation rising within her, the same she always felt just before completing an assignment. The footsteps were now approximately at her level, and she risked a brief glance from her hiding spot.

She recognized the dark outline of a man, much taller than Yaten, slowly walking along the rows of vehicles. He didn't seem to have noticed her, and she twirled the small blade a few more times between her fingers. She knew she couldn't rush things.

He was slightly taller than her, and she didn't know who her opponent was, what strengths or weaknesses he had, so she decided not to take any risks, cursing that the power had failed again. Mentally, she began counting down. Three. Two. One.

After the stranger had passed her by about two meters, she shot out from her hiding spot, heading directly towards him from behind. Within seconds, she had twisted his arm behind his back and pressed her knife to his kidneys from behind. But she had underestimated him. He was faster than she had anticipated. With an unexpectedly powerful jerk, he turned around and rammed his free arm's elbow right into her face.

A sharp pain exploded in her nose, and a brief cry escaped her. Before she could fully register the pain, her body automatically responded to the next attack. He grabbed her knife-wielding wrist, and she felt the blade nearly slip from her grasp. She retreated, but he was relentless, his movements precise and fluid. It was a bout she hadn't expected. In the darkness, it was difficult for her to predict his attacks. He moved quickly, almost as fast as she did, and his blows landed with brutal efficiency. A fist connected with her side, momentarily knocking the wind out of her. She countered with a kick to his knee, feeling the resistance, but he barely moved.