Chapter 44

Usagi didn't need much time to dismiss Makoto. She slipped back under the warm blanket and nestled against Seiya. "What did Makoto want?" he asked curiously. Somewhat embarrassed, Usagi mumbled, "We were supposed to get the last gifts for tomorrow together... or rather, I needed to buy gifts at all. But I gave her a list of things I'd like to give, so that should keep her busy for a few hours." She grinned mischievously and stole a kiss. Seiya's hand gently caressed her cheek, pulling her closer.

"I wish this day would never end," he whispered into her ear. The two enjoyed the precious togetherness, where time seemed to stand still. The embrace was like a cocoon, protecting them from the outside world. Every touch, every kiss was a tender expression of their love, making the world around them fade once again.

Suddenly, Haruka's voice broke the idyll: "Seiya! Serena! Where are you?" A heavy sigh escaped Seiya, and he wondered if a little peace was really too much to ask for. "I'm afraid she won't be as easily dismissed as Makoto," Seiya joked, trying to slowly get up. Usagi helped him, and together they entered the living room.

Haruka grinned broadly at them and asked ironically, "Oh, am I interrupting something?" "Do you really want an answer to that?" Seiya hissed irritably. His gaze fell on the boxes behind Haruka. "What the hell are you up to?" "Chiru was decluttering, and since you guys never have any decorations anyway, I thought Serena could make use of it before Chiru sets everything up at my place. After all, tomorrow is Christmas, and it looks the same as always in here," explained Haruka. Usagi's corners of the mouth twitched upwards, as she actually didn't mind the idea of putting up a bit more decoration.

"You just want to unload all your crap here. No way! Especially not after you left me hanging yesterday!" protested Seiya. Haruka grinned crookedly. "Oh, come on. It couldn't have been that bad." Her gaze shifted to Usagi, who was already rummaging through the boxes. "And it looks like Serena approves of my idea."

Usagi started slowly pulling out Christmas decorations from the first box. A smile spread across her face as she held an old, handmade nativity scene in her hands. "And Michiru really doesn't need all of this anymore? That's wonderful," she murmured enthusiastically.

Haruka opened the door with a grin and dragged an ugly, scruffy plastic Christmas tree into the room. Seiya's loud protest didn't take long. "Ruka, that's a plastic tree! Absolutely out of the question!" Haruka laughed, ignoring Seiya's objections. With just a few moves, she had set up the ugly monstrosity in the living room. Seiya was about to snatch the thing out of Haruka's hands when a sharp pain shot through his side. He tensed, grimaced, and cursed quietly to himself.

Usagi dropped the string of lights she had been inspecting and rushed to his side. "You're supposed to rest!" she scolded him, guiding him to the sofa. The pain pulsated in Seiya's ribs, but the look he received from Usagi alleviated his suffering a bit.

While Seiya reluctantly lay on the couch, Usagi took a deep breath and threw herself with even more anticipation into the decoration. With sparkling eyes, she hung colorful ornaments on the tree, placed fairy lights around the windows, and continued rummaging through the boxes. The love for the small details and the anticipation of the upcoming celebration reflected in every move she made. Meanwhile, Haruka settled down next to Seiya on the couch, attempting to grab the remote control, which Seiya skillfully kept from her. "Forget it," he just whispered to her and continued flipping through the channels.

The bustling activity of Usagi continued for quite a while. It wasn't until the last of the four boxes was unpacked that she finally felt satisfied and proudly admired her accomplishment. The room sparkled with a festive glow.

Then, the apartment door opened, and a visibly exhausted Taiki dragged himself in. However, as he consciously realized what was happening in his apartment, he struggled to maintain his composure. Seiya chuckled and nudged Haruka. "Your idea was brilliant; just look at how thrilled she is."