Chapter 57

Taiki adjusted his collar, tightened his grip on his black briefcase, and gazed at his father's imposing estate for a moment from outside. The elegant structure radiated an aura of power and authority, causing Taiki a certain unease. Nevertheless, he couldn't escape it. He had to face this encounter, no matter how unpleasant it might be.

With determined steps, he made his way to the door, which was promptly opened by a maid. "Mr. Kou, welcome," she greeted him warmly. Taiki nodded briefly in acknowledgment. "Thank you. Where can I find my father?" "In the large office downstairs, but his mood is not the best," she warned him with a concerned undertone. That was exactly what Taiki had feared. Now he only wondered how bad his father's mood really was. Slowly, he moved through the elegant corridor, and his steps echoed through the silence. Arriving at the office, he took a moment for himself, gathered his thoughts, and mentally prepared for the impending conversation. Then he knocked twice on the door and waited anxiously.

"Come in!" Kakashi's voice grumbled from the other side, and Taiki entered his father's spacious office with a sinking feeling. Kakashi's stern gaze was immediately fixed on him. With a fluid motion, Kakashi closed the documents spread out before him and gestured for his son to take a seat. Taiki felt the tension building in him as he settled into the chair, but he couldn't afford any mistakes here. He had to proceed calmly and judiciously, as much was at stake.

First, he needed to figure out how much his father really knew about the incidents, and then he had to decide quickly and instinctively. He had already prepared suitable responses for various scenarios, but whether they would truly benefit him remained to be seen. He slowly pulled the chair back and sat down. Patiently, he waited to see how his father would start the conversation. Kakashi had interlocked his fingers and scrutinized his son suspiciously. A brief stare-down ensued before Kakashi rose. Restlessly, like a hungry predator, he paced back and forth in his office.

"How long do you plan to keep me waiting? I expect an explanation for your actions yesterday! Kenji is your father-in-law! You can't just ransack his mansion with the special unit!" Taiki breathed a sigh of relief. This confirmed his suspicion that Kakashi hadn't spoken to Kenji yet. Probably, one of the men involved in the incident had talked. He ran his hand over his temples.

"If you knew what my father-in-law had planned, you would probably have stormed in yourself and shot him in the leg, just for his mere considerations," Taiki provocatively stated. Kakashi crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow, clearly indicating that he expected a more detailed explanation.

"So, you haven't heard anything about his plans, Father?" Taiki asked provocatively. He then reached for his briefcase and pulled out a notebook, tossing it onto the table in front of his father. "What's this?" Kakashi hissed, stepping closer to see what Taiki was presenting.

"That, Father, is Kenji Tsukino's plan. He intended to completely disempower our family from the beginning. Serena went to him to inform him about the pregnancy and got kidnapped by her own father. That's why we were at the villa; I wanted to retrieve my pregnant wife. Also, I ask you to take a look at the documents. Kenji wanted to invoke Article 8 of the marriage contract, which has no basis. The pictures he presents as evidence were all taken before the wedding."

Kakashi remained silent, but his expression hardened as he flipped through the documents. His fingers clenched one of the pictures, and he pushed it toward his son. "What can you tell me about this? This was after your wedding," his voice was calm but assertive, referring to the picture of him and Amy in the hotel lobby. Taiki's pulse quickened slightly, but he forced himself to remain calm.

"Amy Mizuno and I still maintain a friendly relationship. I don't know that it's forbidden to accompany friends to the airport. As you know, she resigned here to dedicate herself to a project in Zurich," he stated professionally, hoping fervently that his father would accept this explanation.