CHAPTER 28

I stood there and saw that Sam seemed to be comforting Avaline. I asked myself, "Why is Avaline crying?" I saw and heard Avaline say to Sam, "I'm so nervous, I don't know what to do. Do you think she'll accept me? I don't want to fail."

I frowned in wonder after I heard that. Hesitating whether to approach or not, I bowed and said, "I think I should let the two of them talk alone first." I sighed and said, "Well, at least I know she's here."

I was about to walk back to the cafeteria, but I stopped when someone called my name, "A-AA?"

I slowly turned around and looked at Avaline and Sam. Avaline asked, "A-AA, is that you?" She was trying to look at me carefully because her eyes were a little swollen from crying.

I nodded and said, "Ah, y-yes." I walked closer to them, and as I approached, Sam asked me,  "Kanina ka pa ba nandiyan?" I shook my head and said, "N-No. Not really."

I looked at Avaline and Sam in turn and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to eavesdrop on what you were talking about. I was just going to the restroom. I didn't even think you two were here, so I was surprised when I saw you both."

Sam said, "Ah, okay lang yun. Ako naman, galing ako sa library parang nanghihiram ng libro."  She showed the book she was holding and continued, "Nung papunta na'ko sa cafeteria, hindi ay naisipang ko na pumunta muna sa restroom kaya dumiretso ako dito. Pagkatapos kong mag-restroom at habang naghuhugas ako ng kamay ko, may narinig akong umiiyak sa cubicle. Kaya nung tianang ko kung okay lang ba siya, lumabas agad siya at nagulat ako ng makita ko na si Avaline ang lumabas doon. Nagulat ako dahil sa hindi ko inaakala na siya pala yung umiiyak." 

I looked at Avaline and saw her wiping her eyes with a handkerchief. Turning to Sam again, I said, "C-can I ask why she is crying?" Sam turned to Avaline, looking at her as if asking for permission to explain.

Avaline looked at Sam and said, "Y-you can tell AA why." Sam nodded and then turned back to me.

When Sam looked at me, she said, "Umiiyak si Avaline dahil..." I kept wondering, "Kinakabahan siya dahil sa makikilala niya na finally for the first time yung nanay ni Gab." Slowly, the wrinkles on my forehead disappeared.

I asked, "R-really?" I turned to Avaline and asked her, "You're going to meet Gab's mom, Aunt Selene?" Avaline nodded, "Yes. I'm going to meet her later. Gab informed me yesterday that she could introduce me as her girlfriend to her mom today, and I said yes. So later we will go to their house so Aunt Selene can teach me to make mooncakes for the grand opening of her new branch tomorrow."

I said, "Oh, okay. Well, wouldn't that be great? You'll get to know Aunt Selene and she'll get to know you as Gab's girlfriend." Avaline said, "I know, but... you don't understand. I'm nervous because... I want Tita Selene to like me. Not only to accept me as Gab's girlfriend but also to see me as a good person or a perfect partner for Gab."

I didn't speak and just remained silent. Avaline continued, "I'm also nervous about what if I fail at making mooncakes. I know that mooncakes are important to Aunt Selene since this is her business. She has many branches."

I said, "Avaline, you don't need to be perfect, because no one is perfect, but there are people who become great just because they do their best." Avaline didn't speak and just kept looking at me. I continued, "And I know that you always do your best; that's why you became a great person."

Avaline was still not speaking. I called her name, "Avaline." She looked up, and I said, "I know Aunt Selene; she's kind, so... just be yourself. And I'm sure she would like and accept you just the way you are."

Avaline slowly smiled when I told her that. I said, "So... don't worry too much, okay?" She nodded and said, "Okay."

 I told her, "You know who's more worried right now?" She frowned and said, "Who?" I said, "It's Gab. He's been worried about you for a while now. He's been looking everywhere for you, he said he's gone around this campus just to look for you, and he keeps texting and calling you many times. He even cried because he was so worried about where you are."