CHAPTER 41

After a few hours, while we were riding in the car, we remained silent. I looked at Sam, and she was just staring out the window. I glanced back at my own window, still worried about Sam.

 Soon after, we arrived at Ikuno Cemetery and immediately got out of the car. We looked down and saw Kenji Nakamura standing there. When we approached him, we bowed, and he bowed in return as a greeting. 

After that, Tito Night spoke to Kenji Nakamura. After they finished talking, we saw Kenji Nakamura nodding to Tito Night before he started walking inside. We followed him, and when he stopped, he pointed and looked in the direction of where Tita Gabi was buried. 

We saw Tita Gabi's tombstone and read what was written on it.

Gabi Nyx Balit-De la Luna
ガビ・ニックス・バリット=デ・ラ・ルナ

Born: October 9, 1977
Died: June 15, 2003

When Kenji Nakamura lit a candle, he placed it next to Tita Gabi's tombstone. After he put down the candle, Tito Night placed the fruit we bought earlier before we came here next to Tita Gabi's tombstone. Sam placed the flowers on the other side of Tita Gabi's tombstone. 

After that, we just stayed there silently and looked at Tita Gabi's tombstone. After a while, Kenji Nakamura suddenly spoke. Tito Night said, "Kenji Nakamura mentioned that he found out Gabi's full name and when she was born because of her ID. He said that before Gabi was buried, he looked at her belongings to gather information for her tombstone as well as his own burial."

We just remained silent and continued looking at Tita Gabi's tombstone after Tito Night told us that. Little by little, Tito Night knelt down to be closer to Tita Gabi's tombstone. While he was on his knees, he held onto the grave and kept looking at Tita Gabi's grave. 

While he was looking at it, Tito Night suddenly started crying again. 

He said to Tita Gabi's grave, "Gabi, I'm already here. I'm already here with Star. I have finally found her and am with her. But I want to tell you that...I... I'm sorry. I'm sorry because I didn't do anything. I'm sorry because I didn't know anything. I'm sorry because it's all my fault. If I hadn't had an accident... you wouldn't have come to me, you wouldn't have worked as a janitress, and you wouldn't have died. I-I'm sorry... I'm sorry, my love..."

After Tito Night said that, Tito Night slowly bowed down while continuing to cry. While Tito Night was crying, I looked at Sam. When I looked at her, she just remained silent and was looking at Tita Gabi's grave. 

After a while, her tears fell again. Sam covered her face as she cried. I walked closer to her and tried to hug her. When she saw me, she let me hug her while she continued to cry. 

As I hugged her, it was as if I wanted to cry too because of my sadness for Sam. I felt sad that even when I hugged her, I could hear her crying and knew she was hurt by the loss of Tita Gabi. Even though I wanted to cry too, I stopped myself, so I kept looking up to avoid crying.

A few hours later, when we were leaving the cemetery, we stopped. Kenji Nakamura and Tito Night talked again. While they were talking, we just kept looking at them. 

As we watched, I looked at Sam again. She seemed still weakened by her sadness. I frowned because I was worried about Sam. 

Why do I feel like I can't do anything for Sam right now?