Setting a Trap

By the time Friday arrived, my brain had unscrambled enough for me to think properly and I felt confident in my plan to move forward. Rena was coming after me, so let's make her come out of hiding to find me.

I had actually been disappointed when the Captain hadn't shown up for work. Something about taking it off to spend a long weekend with Min before she went back to Busan. But, I couldn't wait that long. I needed to convince him of my plan as soon as possible.

I guess that was why I was now standing outside of an Italian restaurant in downtown Seoul.

Min and the Captain were sitting at a table near the window and I spotted them almost as soon as I walked into the restaurant. Although, that also meant that he saw me as soon as I walked in as well. I smiled from the front and watched as his face fell.

I began walking to their table and stopped when I was finally in front of it. I waved "Hiya."

Min looked up in surprise and shifted in her seat. "Oh, Y/N. What are you doing here?"

"I'm really sorry to interrupt, but I was wondering if I could talk to the Captain just for a couple minutes."

Min looked from me to the Captain.

He leaned forward a bit. "No, Y/N, you can't. We're busy at the moment."

I just kept smiling. "It's super important police business. Promise it won't take long, you'll be back before you know it."

"Y/N, you can't just barge in here and expec-"

Min placed her hand on top of the Captain's balled up fist on the table and he stopped talking. "Channie, if it's work related, it's ok."

She looked back at me. "It must have been super important for you to come all the way here in person instead of just calling."

"Um," I wasn't sure if her words were sincere or if it was actually a dig at my expense. "Yes, it is."

"See Channie, it's super important." She patted his hand. "The sooner, the quicker, right?"

He sighed and pointed towards the door as he stood up. "Outside."

I began walking and held the door for him as he followed behind me. We walked a few paces away from the door before the Captain turned me around and crossed his arms.

"You know, my phone works just fine, you could have just texted me to tell me that you were ok."

I shrugged. "Or I could have called." His shoulders relaxed slightly. "But, I didn't. You could have just asked Changbin or Jisung if I was ok."

He shook his head. "You didn't respond to me for a reason." His voice got lower. "I wasn't sure if you wanted me to know."

"But, you did anyway."

He nodded. "I couldn't just not know."

I looked away. "Your call wasn't exactly easy to respond to. I didn't really know what to even say or how to say it."

He sighed. "Why do you still do that?"

I turned back and his arms were now down by his sides. "Do what?"

He shook his head. "What was so important that it couldn't have waited until Monday?"

"Umm," I pulled my phone out of my pocket and swiped it open. Pictures of my findings were there on the screen and I handed it to him. "Rena has been leaving us other clues. Not just the ones that we were given."

He took my phone and began looking through the pictures. "Her popping up and getting photographed wasn't just a misstep. It was planned. She wanted you all to see those, because this is the game that she's playing."