Chapter 6: Once Upon A Time I Loved You

Naila's POV
I had just rang the door bell when a boy on a skateboard stopped beside me. Gazing down at him I smiled at the striking resemblance he has to his dad. Nick looked just like that when he was a kid. "Hi." I flashed a smile at him.

"Hi." He answered after thinking it through.

He has dark blue eyes, not like Nick.

"My name is Naila."

"You have pretty eyes." He complemented me with a smile. His eyes are just as gorgeous. "Who are you looking for?"

"Your dad."

"Nick is not home. Should I get my mom?"

He calls his dad by the first name. I wonder how Nick feels about it.

"No. There's no need." I declined, noting that curious gaze he has. "Can you tell your dad to call me?"

"Sure." He smiled fleetingly getting back into the house and closing the door behind him.

It is a world full of sons. From Scotty, Aidan, Ethan and now Marcelle. It is almost as though the universe is reminding me of my loss. I backed up into something solid as my eyes were still on the tall front door of Nick's home. His hands caught the side of my arms and his familiar scent immediately flooded my nostrils. The sweet memories I have of being in his arms and taking in his scent as I held him as close as he held me were awakened.

I smiled pleasantly especially when he turned me to face him.

"Are you lost?" He asked with a serious face. "Tony's house is at the end of the lane."

"I'm right where I want to be."

He severed all contact with me when he dropped his hands and tucked them into his pockets. He sat on the hood of his Lamborghini eyeing me like I am a misplaced object. From the windshield I spotted a blue eyed girl peeking at me.

"Is that Maddie?"

"No." He glanced back then at me. Nick only answers the questions he is asked.

"Who is she?"

He has the same gaze his son does, though his is a little hostile. Perhaps if I have his son he will be just as handsome as Marcelle. I haven't been able to get the thought out of my mind since I found out he's back. "Why are we having this conversation?"

"Why are you cold towards me? Did I do something wrong?"

A moment of silence passed. "That is my sweetheart, Marcella." He gestured to the girl who I thought sort of resembles Madeline. "That one is Maddie." Looking behind me I saw his son and daughter each on skate boards heading our way. They stopped briefly where their father was. "Stay on the sidewalk and don't wreck people's property. Capisce?"

"We promise to be on our best behaviour daddy." Maddie sang with mischief in her eyes.

"Later Nick." The boy waved his father off.

After they disappeared down the driveway and into the street, he smiled fleetingly. He is happy. "He calls you Nick."

"Yeah. Let's just say he is defiant and when he teams up with Maddie they are hellish. I bet there's a bunch of checks I'll have to write by the end of the day to replace what they damage. So, what brings you here?"

"Cole is back." I tugged my sweater to cover my hands. It's a little chilly.

"That's the headline at the moment." He seems unenthusiastic. "Have you seen him?"

"Yeah."

"I'm guessing there won't be a wedding soon."

"No. Did you know he is married with a kid?" Nick's lips are tight. "I couldn't believe it when he introduced them me. It was like a knife to the heart. I felt betrayed."