Chapter 19: The Assailant

Naila's POV
"Why don't you answer your phone when I call you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Because I know what you want to say."

"Good. Then we can cut to the chase. Why are we not picking put wedding gowns? Pierre proposed! How can you not tell me this?"

"Mother, to be honest, he didn't really propose-"

"Did he give you a big sparkly ring?"

"Yes."

"Then that's a proposal. You should have said yes, immediately! He is a great catch!"

My mother's definition of a great catch is good looking and wealthy. Also not a family enemy.

"He is." There's really no point of arguing with her. "I have to go-"

"You need to come to Monaco. We need to talk."

"Last time I was there, you locked me up and threw away the key." That was when Cole wanted to marry me and I wanted to talk to her first.

The thing about finding out about my real family this late in life is that I have no attachment to them. I still favor Wayne and Tony any day.

"I was keeping you from making the biggest mistake of your life. You see that it worked, right? Yes u wouldn't be marrying Pierre Deveraux!"

I approached my hotel room, walking much slower when I saw Mr Harrington standing outside my door.

"Mother, I'll call you back." I hanged up.

Scarlet Monae is always trying to control me. She gave up on Darcia and decided to make me her project. The only way not to get entangled with her is to avoid her. Levi strongly recommends that course of action.

"Mr Harrington. What are you doing here?" I asked him.

I know he has never liked me for Cole. Before my interest in Cole, he didn't mind me.

"Good afternoon Naila. I was hoping we could talk."

"If this is about Cole, we are no longer together."

"It's not about Cole. Is it alright if we speak inside?"

"Uh... Okay." I shrugged qnd ipened the door.

He stepped into my room and he immediately picked up on gow messy I am. I particularly picked up a bra and held it behind me. "I'm sorry for the mess. I'm not much of a the day person."

"We all have our flaws. Naila, what I'm about to tell you will possibly end badly for me. I want you to know that whatever course of action you choose to take is... I won't hold it against you."

"What is it?" I asked nervously.

"I understand you went through a difficult ordeal in your life. It was the night of your graduation. I remember that I was having q really bad day. I was out with a sailor and a soldier and I'm ashamed to say that unlike the two of them, I can't hold my liquor that well. I managed to find my way home. I wanted to go to bed and sleep it off but then I saw you." I swallowed with difficulty as my heart rate climbed. "I have no good reason or excuse for what I did to you. I am ashamed of my behavior and I want you to know that you are allowed to take necessary action against me."

I stepped back with timidness paralyzing me.

"What are you saying Mr Harrington?"

"I was the man in the conservatory. I assaulted you. I'm sorry."

"No." I shook my head in denial. "No! It can't be you! It can't!"

"Naila -"

"That would make you Sebastian's father! No!"