Chapter 25: Jail Bird

Naila's POV
Becoming sober while sitting in a jail cell is a cup of tea. I have stayed in my corner, avoiding interaction with the other women in here. Some of them are in here for prostitution. They look rough. I'm not pleased with the company I'm keeping. If Wayne was here, he would tell me that I have fallen too low.

Do I feel better after burning down the conservatory?

Not really.

I can't believe someone got hurt. What Levi told me about myself is true. I am hurting people around me. He was the call I made after Cole got turned away by the chief. Levi didn't answer. I'm sure he wants nothing to do with me. There was a time he really wanted to help me. That was shortly after Brazil. When I met Darcia, he told me to stay away from her. He told me to also avoid mother. I disregarded his advice. The result? Darcia opened me up to a world of gives. Drugs, alcohol and sex. I beat the drugs. I tamed the sex. But I'm still drinking.

I'm holding onto the promise that Cole will be back. He had to go to the funeral. I have spent the night here and now evening is coming around again. No Cole.

Have I been forgotten?

"You don't look like you belong here." A woman who has been staring at me all day finally spoke.

I ignored her.

"Too good to speak to us?" She asked me.

Her little gang stood up and closed in on me.

I hate this low I have hit.

"Take another step and I'll break your bloody necks!"

They broke into applause. "Sounds like our tough girl is from the queen's land! Where is your cup of tea girlie?"

"Right here. Do you want to come over and see?' I asked her.

I kept my eyes sharp, fists folded and ready to swing.

They took me up on my dare but the sudden presence of an officer made them back off. He looked at me as he opened the door. The sound of the metal door opening sounds like angels singing for me.

"Naila Bellingerre, you are free to go."

Free? After an arson and someone almost died? Free?

I am not about to question him. I took my exit swiftly. After picking up my belongings, I made my way out. I don't even have cash for a taxi. It's a long walk back to the hotel. I just want to get there and take a bath.

"Miss Bellingerre." I paid attention to the old man with white hair. He adjusted his glasses. "Cliff Branson."

He offered his hand to me.

I know many men for all the bad reasons. I shook his hand.

"I'm sorry to startle you like this. I was asked to get you out."

"Who asked you to? Cole Harrington?"

"No. The older Harrington, Francis. Do you need a ride somewhere? It doesn't look like you have a way-"

"I can walk." I declined.

"Arson is a federal crime. The time you can possibly serve is between five to twenty years. I haven't even added the man who got burned in that fire. You should count yourself lucky that Mr Harrington knows all the right people."

He got into his car and drove away.

I kept walking, regretting my actions in every step I took. Why did I choose fire when Bas died in a fire? Why do I do stupid things like this? Wayne isn't willing to protect me anymore. Five to twenty is a long time to be locked up. Why would Mr Harrington help me after I told my mother about him? After my actions caused the death not of his wife only but six other people? Why would he help me?