Chapter 37: Painful Fairwells

Leen's wedding was beautiful. It's going to be talked about for weeks to come.

Sinclair lives like a king. I have never been to his estate until the wedding. It's a magnificent place, almost magical, right out of a fairytale. If I was in Leen's shoes, I would never leave that place.

The wedding on its own was whimsical, something out of a fairytale. With spring as it's backdrop and the swans in the lake, it inspired me to wish I was getting married too. Her fairytale gown evoked happily ever after thoughts in me. Everyone woman who was looking at Leen either envied her or was happy for her. I know how I felt. I wanted a wedding at that moment and I haven't stopped thinking about it.

Frank showed up for the wedding after being significantly absent since he showed me the facility. Watching him walking his daughter down the aisle makes him feel human. Later on, I wanted to say something to him, anything at all even a greeting but I could not bring myself to do it. He was in the company of a young woman, the one from the reading of the will. They looked comfortable in each other's arms. I wonder if anyone else noticed it.

"Love, can I ask you something about your father?" I ended the comfortable morning silence between us.

It's a Sunday morning. We are walking around the silent neighborhood. There is so much I have wanted to say to him since the wedding but I come up short everytime I open my mouth.

"What is it?" Cole looked at me curiously.

"Your father was with a woman. Who is she to him?"

"I don't know her. He never made any introductions."

"Aren't you concerned?"

"Why would I be concerned? Do you think he's hurting her like he hurt you?" He slowed down, his eyes fixed on me.

"No. It's not that. It's just that she's pretty young for him."

"He has always attracted the attention of younger women." He continued walking. "Mom was the only reason he behaved himself. He doesn't have to anymore."

"But-"

"Naila, he is single and rich. This may not be the first woman we see him with. It could be a fling that will be over soon. Since he made no introduction, it's probably not serious."

"The woman he was with, her name is Hope. She was at the will reading I attended."

Cole stopped walking yet again. "Why was she there?"

"Don't you know that your mom left her entire practice to Hope?"

"No I don't."

"She's not just a girl looking for a rich boyfriend. Your mom's practice was worth millions, right?"

"Right." He looks troubled. "Do you think they are together? Hope and my dad? Maybe it isn't a fling."

"That is what I was hoping you would clarify."

He continued walking. I followed immediately. "Why do you care who he sees anyway?"

"Because she is young. She is most probably Leen's age."

"It's his life. Whatever he does is up to him."

"But what if she wants what he has? Like the hotels?"

"She will have a tough time with that. The hotels belong to Leen."

I came to a sudden stop. "Leen? Why?" I gripped his arm to slow him down.

"Maybe because I tried to kill my father. Remember? I shot at him. The bukmet grazed his neck. An inch more and he would have died. He probably didn't think I'm fit to be his heir after that."