Chapter 35: The Brother

Naila's POV
Date nights with Cole are the absolute best. It feels like we have fallen in love all over again; like back when we started out. Getting to know each other all over again with the promise of a future gives our relationship meaning. What even excites me more is that we are working towards having a baby. After the legal matters are complete and Cole and I both pass some health tests, it's a green light to making our baby.

With the way things are going with Cole, I think it's time for him to meet the sanest member of my family. Levi.

"It's a really nice place." Levi remarked after the tour of the facility. "And may I add, quite generous of Freya to leave it to you."

I folded my arms across my chest as we continued to walk down the hallway. "Sometimes I feel I don't deserve it. I wasn't exactly nice to her."

"You will be surprised to learn that there are people on this earth who don't treat people the way they have been treated."

I understand what he is saying but I must bring it up. Ever since I saw her photograph in Levi's possessions, I have been thinking about his intentions.

"Like Kei?"

He threw me  a serious look. "She is none of your business." His tone is sharp. He doesn't want to talk about it. 

"You do know that she is engaged to Nick, right?"

"Where is this conversation going?" He stopped walking.

"Somewhere that knocks some sense into your head."

He rolled his eyes and walked on to my office. I followed him closely, determined to fully understand what he intends to do with his feelings for Kei. What are his feelings for Kei? Is it infatuation or love or is it obsession?

Darcia told me that Levi used to date a girl and he was crazy obsessed with her. She told me they used to fight a lot and sometimes Levi would even get physical with her. She said the reason Levi hasn't been with another woman is because he is afraid of himself.

"Don't go." I stopped him when he picked up his backpack. "I am not asking about Kei for malicious reasons. I am asking because I care about you. Nick is dangerous!"

"So am I."

He brushed past me. 

"Levi!" I gripped his wrist. "Please, let's talk about Kei. I want to understand.

I can see he doesn't want to talk but his stubborn resolve slowly dwindled and he came back in. He crashed on the grey sofa and bent over slightly with his hands folded.

"I met her in Paris." He began. "I met her in Paris three years ago. She was still married to Sinclair then. I bumped into her. I swear it wasn't on purpose. Her bodyguards were quick to respond, treating me as a hostile but she talked them down. Naila, have you ever looked at someone and felt immediately drawn to them?"

"Yes. Cole."

"For me, it was her. My heart literally stopped and my breath caught. She was speaking to me and I couldn't even hear her until she touched my arm and up till now I can still feel the warmth of her hand on that late autumn evening. She asked me something no one had asked me for a very long time. She asked me if I was okay. I know it was only a question relevant to the moment because she bumped into me but it made me feel special. From that moment on, I was taken. She never left my thoughts."

I am scared to ask but there are no answers without questions where Levi is concerned. He used to be in the navy and later on my mother's assassin. He doesn't talk unless a direct question is asked.

"Do you love her?"

"Madly."

"What do you plan to do with those feelings? Will they be contained in looking at her in a photograph or are you going after her?" He responded with silence. "Levi, what are your plans? Tell me!"