Chapter 27: Mistakes Made...

Azura's POV
Adjusting to life after a divorce, hasn't been easy. I was used to routines that revolved around Cole and Amir. Now that part of that routine is no longer part of my life, I feel like I'm missing a chunk of myself.

I love Cole. I did from the moment I saw him. Over time it has just gotten stronger. For it to end the way it did... let's just say I'm not all there. I try to keep it together for Amir. I don't want my fall out with Cole to be his burden. But Amir is quite intuitive. He knows something is wrong. He feels it. I don't know how I'll ever make things normal again, for him.

The ring in the box has held my attention since before the funeral. Arham proposed. I didn't expect it and naturally, I just didn't know what to say. He told me to think it over. That's what I've been doing. Thinking it over. Perhaps this is the normal Amir needs. A stable family. I know that is what Arham can offer.

"Mom, what that?" He stuck his head between my shoulder and face. "Whoa! It's so shiny!"

"It's a diamond ring." I closed the case but he took it.

He opened it. "Can I touch it?" I brought him over to sit on my lap. He took out the ring with a smile on his face. "Is it yours?"

"It can be."

"What do you mean?"

Someday this boy will grow into a man. He will meet a girl he loves and he will get down on one knee and offer a diamond ring. It won't hurt to explain it to him now. I would do it with Cole but he decided not to be part of this family anymore.

"Listen to me Amir. You know that your father and I are not together anymore. Right?"

"Right."

"This ring is usually given to a woman by a man. The man who gives this to a woman, wants to marry her and be with her forever."

"Aha."

"So... Someone, not your daddy, gave this to mommy." He frowned at me. "You have never met him. His name is Arham. I have known him since I was about your age."

"I don't understand. Will he marry you? Not daddy?"

"Daddy has someone epse in his life now. I can't marry him and he can't marry me."

"Arham will be my father then."

"No. He will be my husband if I accept this ring. Cole will always be your father."

He put the ring back and closed the box.

Amir also thinks a lot. Whenever I tell him something serious, he takes time to think about it. He will be quiet all through, trying to make sense of it. Afterwards is when he will go back to normal.

"Are you alright sweet boy?" I asked him.

"I'll be alright. Can I meet Arham?"

"Yes of course." I laughed softly. "We could invite him over for lunch. How does that sound?"

"That sounds like a plan." He hugged me. "I love you. Please stop being sad."

Yes, he knows even when I'm hiding it. He knows that Cole shattered my heart.

***
As agreed, I invited Arham for lunch. He happily accepted. I'm eager to make an introduction. Arham is a nice guy. I haven't had anyone so consistent in my life.

"Those are beautiful!" I pressed my palms together at the sight of red and pink roses on q big bouquet.

"Just like you." He smiled softly. I accepted them, along with a gentke kiss on my cheek. His attention shifted to Amir. He came down to Amir's height. "And who is this handsome little guy?"