Chapter 24: Farewell Freya

Cole's POV
"How does it sound?" I asked Ferrer.

He is the only one available this morning. It's the day of the funeral. Nick is under the weather and he told me he will show up later. Tony was flying in from London. He must be here by now. Bruce isn't the kind of guy to give emotional support. He will probably be in the back pews watching silently. That leaves me with Ferrer who faithfully showed up last night to keep me company.

"Sounds good. The picture you paint of your mother is as beautiful as she was."

She made mistakes but she had a kind heart.

"Thank you." I folded the sheet of paper that will be her eulogy. It's brief but full of meaning. "Thank you for being here buddy. I really appreciate it."

"Don't sweat it. You took care of me when I had nothing."

"What happened to the guys? Things don't feel the same."

"Honestly, since your "death" things have been like that. I think you were glue that kept us together. Is it possible to get you back?"

"I've lost so much of myself Ferr. I don't know what is real and what is not. I feel stuck."

"There's always light at the end of the tunnel."

"Not if it's night."

"The sun always rises at dawn." He narrowed his eyes. "No come back? Good. I know those are common sayings but they are true. Nothing bad lasts forever. That was the kind of man you used to be. An optimist. I miss that guy. He's in there somewhere, trying to surface. Help him come up for air."

"I hear you." I smiled at him.

"So, your ex eife-"

"Don't you dare Ferrer!"

"What?" He asked amidst laughter. "What did I do?"

"Don't go after her!"

"I think she's gorgeous, but I won't go after her. I just wanted to ask why she's not here with you."

"I think she hates me."

"A woman who hates you doesn't show up to support your family. Hey, it's just me and I'm not cut out to give relationship advice but why not go back to Azura?"

"Because I'll always revert back to Naila. I tried but I just can't be with any other woman."

"Not to add to your problems... Leen called."

"What did she want?"

Sinclair was serious about keeping me away from Leen. He won't let me see my sister.

"To tell you that if Naila comes to the funeral, one of you will be buried next to Freya."

"Why would she..." I scratched my head and put on my shoes. "Never mind."

"She burned down the conservatory."

"What?" I asked. "Yesterday."

"For goodness sake!" I tied off my laces. "Do you know where Naila is?"

"I'm not a shrink but I think she needs help. If not medication, she needs to go to therapy." Ferrer added. "She's a trainwreck."

"Always has been. When did Naila ever have a shit together?" I grabbed my jacket. "Let's go. I'm going to talk to her."

"Where is she?" Ferrer followed.

That's a good question. Bea kicked her out. "Hotel?"

"Which one?"