Chapter 23: Shot Caller

Naila's POV
"Cole?" I woke up from his bed and patted the empty side.

The covers are intact, the pillow stiff smooth. It seems he hasn't come back. It's already morning. Did he decide to sleep over at his parents' house?

I stretched and yawned.

It's 6:00am.

I'm not wired to be uo this early but I was in between sleep and waking up all night. I kept checking if Cole was back.

I dragged myself downstairs, looking around the empty home. I think I have my answer for Pierre. I won't be going back to him. I choose Cole.

I can hear the answering machine beeping. It's rude but I pressed the button to listen to the messages.

"Cole, habibi I'm so sorry." It's Azura. What is she sorry about? "I heard about the shooting. Amir and I are on the first flight out. I'm so sorry. See you in a few hours."

Shooting?

"Cole, it's Kei. I can't believe what has happened. I can't seem to reach Leen at all. Sinclair isn't answering his phone either. Can someone please tell me that no one is badly hurt? I'm in Rome, Nick made it to the hospital. Marianna is gone, car accident. It's a mess Cole. I won't be back until Nick is stable enough to fly home. Call me back. I'm worried about you guys."

What happened to Nick?

"Hey mate. Regardless of our disagreements, I'm sorry about the death of your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm on my way back from London. We will see you soon."

I pressed stop.

Death if his mother?

I turned on the news.

"... tragedy as seven people lose their lives during an award ceremony hosted at the Harrington Estate. Eye witnesses confirm that the guests were locked inside the ballroom and robbed before a violent shoot out ensued. Among the seven who lost their lives is Freya Nora Harrington..."

I covered my mouth.

Cole needs me.

I immediately searched for my phone. I turned the living room upside down until I found it under one if the cushions. He hasn't called or texted.

But there's an incoming call from Levi.

"Hello?"

"Turn on the news."

"I just watched it."

"Do you feel better? Has justice been served?"

"What are you talking about?"

"You told mom about Francis Harrington. Do you see her handiwork?"

"No. This isn't me! I told her it was Frank! She should have gone after Frank! He should be dead!"

"But six other people, innocent people have died. Your bitterness will hurt everyone close to you. Frank has been punished Naila. He took the closest thing to his heart."

I blinked repeatedly as the seriousness of it hit me. "I didn't tell her to hurt F-freya."

"That's the thing about mom. Now you know. And Naila, I hope you can live with this. It won't stop there. She will take everything Francis Harrington loves, including Cole."

He hanged up.

My hand dropped to my side from being limp.

What have I done?