Chapter 4: One More Lie

Cole's POV
"Azura!" I budged into the room she is sleeping in. She sat up suddenly, her eyes noticing the time on the clock and I watched them narrow at me.

"Seriously Cole? At this hour you wish to pick a fight with me?"

I got on the bed to get closer to her that we won't shout. She requested another bedroom after we spoke last . "Why are you making nice with the enemy?"

She spoke to my father. Or maybe he spoke to her. I'm not sure but it seems they are colluding.

"I have been on your team from the day I found you at the hospital. I have been nothing but a faithful devoted wife. I have put up with your nasty little temper, your insecurities, your paranoia and your madness. How do you repay me after I believed that things will get better once we come home? You can't even afford me an assurance of your love! You didn't even introduce me as your wife!" She poked my chest. "You are just going to discard me like I mean nothing to you."

"I'm not discarding you! What is wrong with you?"

"It's only a matter of time before you run back to Naila like a love sick little puppy!" Her eyes brimmed with tears. "And I'll be left on a sideline with a handful of shattered memories of a love that was a lie!"

I paused to look at her pained expression. It doesn't help that tears started to fall from her eyes. "Azura-"

"I don't want to listen to anything you have to say. You will just lie to me over and over again. I don't want your promises."

"Does sleeping separately from me solve anything?" I asked softly.

"I can't sleep next to you knowing you'll eventually leave. The lies you tell your family don't make you honest to me. You will lie to me the same way. So I'm teaching myself to be separate from you. Just do what you want Cole Michael."

She turned away pulling the covers over her head.

I have no choice but to leave the bedroom frustrated that she is right. I can't make any promises because I will probably not keep them.

"You can't sleep."

I stopped walking, settling my eyes on my father. I want nothing but to strangle him. I kept my hands in the pockets of my pajama pants. "No. What do you expect when you encourage my wife to take a separate room from me?"

He approached me but stopped over a foot away. "I know what an empty bed feels like. When your mother used to sleep in the guest room, I never could get any sleep. I guess you are like me."

I am nothing like him.

"Why would she sleep in the guest room? You two look like the perfect couple." I decided to pursue his storyline.

"I am not perfect." Francis Michael Harrington admitting to be flawed like the rest of humanity. "She is not perfect. I'm sure when your memory returns to you, the truth will as well. I am going to take a walk around the estate. Would you like to join me?"

"Sure." I agreed to keep him from thinking I hate him. 

"Azura asked if she could have a separate bedroom. I didn't get into the details. I just told her to pick one and the maids will do the rest. Is everything all right between you two?"

"She did not want to come back here. She is scared that when I remember who I am, she will be left in the sidelines."

"Your mother informed me that Nails was here. Do you remember her?"

"No."

We stepped out into the cold crisp air.

"You look good son. I have missed you." He gazed at me fondly. Liar. I can't trust this man.