Chapter 21: Harrington Pretences

Frank's POV
"Daddy. Daddy." She touched my arm. "Daddy, are you listening?"

"What did you say?"

"I'm saying we need to lawyer up! Who do you want me to call?"

"No one." I answered.

She frowned at me. "Daddy, you will go to jail."

"I know. It's okay."

"No it's not!"

"Coleen, dear, it's okay. I know you want the outcome to be different but sweetheart, it won't be. I have lived with that night for twelve years. The guilt has eaten me up. You don't know how relieved I am to have confessed. I have made peace with my punishment, whatever it will be."

"How can you say that? I agree that what you did was really bad. But I want you to see things my way! You are my favorite parent. You are my friend. I'm pregnant and I want you to be there when my baby is born. I don't want you erased from my life. Please. Fight for yourself." She pleaded with tears in her eyes.

"I love you. I will always be there for you, even if not in a physical sense. You'll always be my first and last thought. You are special to me, the only one who has consistently been by my side. Dear I took you for granted and I'm sorry. But in this matter, don't intervene."

She wrapped her arms around me.

My heart should feel lighter now that it's out there but I feel heavy with unexplainable sadness. It's something dark in the horizon. Only my instincts agree with me. Nothing else is founded enough to agree with my thoughts.

She let go and sat close to me, her head on my shoulder.

I can't forget what Naila said. This little boy, this Sebastian. Was he mine? I can't erase the thought from my mind. I want to know more about him. I want to know what he looked like and what possibly happened to him.

"The photographer is here." Nora informed us. "Aw! You too look so cute!"

"Great! You just ruined it." Leen laughed. "Why do you have to go and say anything?"

She also laughed and joined us, sitting beside me. She also held me like Leen is doing. It almost feels perfect, like how I wanted it to be before everything spiralled out of control. The only one missing is my son and I know he will never be part of this moment because of the hate he has for me. I need to make peace with losing him.

"I love you both." I told them. "I love you two so much."

Cole's POV
"Come on Leen!" I chased after her. She is really walking fast. I caught up and took hold of her arm. "Leen."

"Let go of me." I adhered to her fierce voice. I released her.

"I haven't done anything wrong. It's dad you should be mad at!"

"I am mad at him. But unlike you, I don't lash out with emotion! Cole you pointed a gun at the man who raised us and you shot him! You might argue it was just a flesh wound but it is the deed that says a lot!"

"I was angry about what he did to Naila."

"I understand." She calmed down. "But what you need to decide is between her and this family. You can't have it both ways."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"If Naila goes to the police, I'm doing everything I possibly can to be beside my father. You can choose your side but don't expect us to get along. In the meantime, stop coming over here, pretending to be a dotting son."

"Mom asked me to come over."

She invited me to come over for a family portrait. I couldn't say no to her.