Chapter 32: The Little Brother

Cole's POV
Leen called me, all frantic about dad.

I promised her I would check in on him and I did. The estate is for sale and mom's things are in boxes. Clothes, shoes and bags all up for grabs outside the estate. I stood by car watching helplessly as random strangers took belongings once sear to my mother. I also felt utterly helpless when I saw the sale sign. I thought of buying the house but I'm not financially able.

Living off the money I put away was sufficient for a time. When Azura started working for her uncle it helped. What I have in my bank account right now is less than six figures. I need to get a job.

The only place to start is Leen.

It's been raining all day. She is indoors most of the time now that she's close to having a baby. Thinking of Leen as a mom is almost an impossible thought in my mind. It takes me back to the time when mom took us to an orphanage to volunteer. Leen refused to hold even the most adorable babies. To think of one in her arms from now on, is difficult.

I'm dropping off some groceries, probably grab a meal before I head to Leen's.

Naila is at my doorstep.

She's relentless.

When she knocks, I don't open. When she shows up, I avoid her. Now we are face to face. I can't avoid it.

"Naila, what a lovely surprise."

"Let me help you with those." She offered.

"I got it." I declined but she grabbed the bag. It ripped and I watched all the groceries fall out. The eggs broke, the tomatoes rolled off the porch and the milk spilt. "Thanks a lot Naila. This is just what I needed today."

"You wouldn't let me help!"

"I don't need help!"

"Fine! Pick up your bloody groceries by yourself!" She stomped off in a fit just when Leen came up the driveway. She stopped the car behind mine. A young man came out of the driver's seat and held an umbrella for Leen.

She's gotten pretty big.

"Bad time?" She asked me.

"Other than the rain, nope." I answered.

When they got on the porch, Leen looked at the mess. "Are your tomatoes running away from you?" She teased me.

"I think they didn't want to end up on my plate. Hey. You look lovely."

"Liar." She pushed me. "Oh! This is Vince. Vince, this is Cole."

I shook the young man's hand.

We stood awkwardly for a moment, looking at each other. "Would you two like to come in?"
They followed me in. At least the house is clean. My fridge is w bit empty. Tea will suffice. "I was coming over to see you!"

"Oh really? Why?"

I brought over three cups of tea.

"Dad. The Hotels. A bunch of stuff. But we can talk about that later. So Vince, how do you know Leen?"

He looked at her. "She's my sister."

My eyes widened at both of them. "Sister?"

"Yes."

"If she's your sister then I'm..." It hit me like a freight train. Can it be? Is he mom's son? The child she never brought home is possibly sitting in front of me. "No way!"

"Way!" Leen exclaimed. "Mom's son. Can you believe it?"

"No... I can't! Where have you been Vince?"

"Madrid."