Competition

-Dylan-
I change into my costume. It's black again because it makes sense.
Max slides off his shirt and puts on his racing one. He puts on his racing jacket. I'm first for the solo and he is quite a bit later then me. I walk backstage.
"Please welcome, Dylan with Lies."
I walk out. And once my music starts I get lost and all I hear is the music and my body responds.

Max has walked backstage. I know he's nervous. They pull out a small fake wall. With two hooks. I know what it's for. No one else does though.
"Please welcome Max with Hang It."
Makes sense. Come on babe!
He walk out as his music starts. Just the sound of a car. He walks out with his helmet on one hand. His jacket on. Some people whisper.
"What? Isn't this a dance competition?"
And I just want to hit them across the head but I don't. He looks at his helmet and hangs it on one of the hooks. The takes off his jacket and hangs it. He grabs the wrench and puts it in his back pocket. He looks far away. He walks to the middle and lays down. Right leg bent.
"Your done!" His voice says in his music. His music officially starts. He sits up. He looks at his helmet and coat hung up. He stands up. He walks to it but steps back and fast. He turns and front handsprings! What! Since when can he do that! He backs up. He looks far and smiles. He spins, and fast too. He stops. He reaches in his back pocket and grabs the wrench. He turns it in his hand.
"I may be finished. But it's not over. Not in my heart." His voice plays.
He walks off. Everyone claps. That's amazing for him and his image.
He doesn't come back. I look at Alex and get up. I look in the halls and he's not there so I head to the dressing room. I open the door. He slams his shirt down.
"You okay?" I ask.
"Oh, hey."
"you okay?"
I sit next to him.
"Yeah." He's quiet. "no."
I hug him. He grabs my hand and wraps his fingers around mine.
"I know my parents told you some of the story but not all of it. Last year after a heat I overheated. When a heat is only 7 laps that's not good. So I got out in the pits. I was slightly dizzy didn't think much of it until my back hit the side of my car. I passed out for a little bit when I came back my dad was in front of me. James next to me. And I didn't remember what happened. I thought it was before the races when it wasn't. I forgot the time period between racing and then. I forgot other stuff too." He stops for a little bit. "Over time, it got worse. I remembered the hardest stuff but not the simplest stuff. I forgot who my parents were, I even forgot my name. But I knew who created the Emancipation Proclamation and how to spell it. It was weird. Turned out I had a heat stroke. And some things haven't come back."
"Like?"
He grabs the wrench.
"I don't remember his name. The guy I race for. Don't even know his name."
I hug him.
"Why did it have to happen? Why? Makes my parents go around worrying about me. My brothers don't mess with me anymore. And Liz doesn't understand. Can I just be normal?"
"No one is normal Max."
"What?"
"We're all different. But we're all human."
"I know. Just sometimes I wish I could just not have to worry all the time."
"Why do you worry?"
"Because I'm scared certain people would leave me."
He looks at me.
"I'm not going to leave you. Hope you know that."
"Okay. Just don't tell anyone what I told you."
"Okay. I won't. I promise."
"Okay. Sounds good."
He stands up and puts on his dance jacket. Which he looks very cute it by the way. Alex walks in.
"Max, that was awesome!"
"Thanks."

•••
Okay. Does anyone even read my stories? Because if no one is its a waste of time for my to write them on here when I could write them myself or just not publish them. Jeez.
-K