Memory 6

~1976 October 4th~

   First Grade. I continued to stack the books, wiping my eyes as the other kids got to watch the projection on screen. Earlier, the books had been put away messily. Seeing how everyone else was putting the books away, I thought it would be okay to put mine away the same way. But, since I’d been the last to put my book away, Mrs. Maloni had made me sit back here, and put the books in number order. I looked over at the projection, wanting to watch it still. Micheal had tried multiple times to try and come over to help me, but he was now stuck sitting next to Mrs. Maloni. She suddenly noticed me trying to watch the TV, and snapped her fingers at me, causing me to snap my attention back to the books. I looked down at the book I was currently holding, and let more warm tears run down my face.

   Suddenly, there was movement in front of me. Quickly looking up to see who it was, afraid it was going to be the teacher, I was quickly surprised. A girl with dark brown curls knelt down in front of me, and gently took the book from me. “Hi, my name is Pearl! I’m here to help you with the books,” She whispered, warmly smiling at me. I stared a little as she started putting the books away and situating them with me. She was a smart girl, who proclaimed that she wanted to be a teacher. I didn’t know much about her, but she was able to answer all the questions related to the Christian religion. After a few moments, we finished. She looked at me, gave me a quiet high five, then quickly and stealthy crawled back over to in front of the TV with the other kids. I got up, and walked over to Mrs. Maloni, telling her that I finished putting the books away, so that Pearl wouldn’t get in trouble for helping me. Mrs. Maloni looked me up and down, then looked back towards the kids.

   “Fine then. Go sit with the other kids. And you too Micheal.” We both quickly went over and sat down with the other kids, even though the film was halfway through. But it didn’t matter.

)Memory 6 Finished(