Memory 7

~1977 February 13th~

   We were in the music room. “Alright, everyone line up!” Mrs. Porter said, as she cleaned up the music stuff. Lucas was the line leader for the day, so everyone lined up behind him. I smiled, excited for the next lesson, because it was gonna be math class. After everyone lined up, Lucas led us down the hallway to our class, and then opened the door so that we could all go in. The rule for the line leader was to hold the door open and then come in last, after everyone. Such simple times when the thing that mattered the most was wanting to be first in the line. As we all sat on the rainbow carpet in the front of the room, I heard a familiar voice from the doorway, as someone entered. Linzey. “Where’s Elijah?” He said out into the room. I hid down, and giggled as I started hiding, thinking it was a game of hide and seek. But sooner or later, he found me. As I went to get up and stand up to talk to him, he pushed me down to the ground. I fell back on my forearms, and looked up at him horrified. He looked down at me, and smirked.

   “Hey, everyone! Have you heard that Elijah is a little liar?” He laughed. Everyone in the room went silent. The silence felt defining for a moment. Linzey started walking towards me, and I started quickly backing away, unfortunately colliding with the wall, and banging the back of my head with the metal part that held the chalk. “Elijah is a little liar, liar liar! He can’t help but lie!!” “L-Linzey stop..!” I felt hot tears start to form. My mother had told me never to hit anyone. And I knew better. Even if it was self defense, I’d be in trouble. That’s why Micheal was suspended for a week. Just as Linzey went to put his foot on my chest to pin me down, the teacher came in, Mrs. Maloni. As quick as it had begun, Linzey sat down, a little bit away from me. Still crying, and recollecting myself, Mrs. Maloni looked at me. “Elijah, what are you doing? Sit down with everyone else this instant.

   I didn’t like school.

)Memory 7 Finished(