Memory 26

~1981 August 19th~

  School was about to start up again. I always hated the feeling knowing school was the next day, but also kind of liked the feeling. 9th grade, and 14, both somewhat new starts. And I had mostly spent the summer with Micheal, sometimes with Flynn, but mainly with Micheal. Staci opened my door, and looked at me. “Big brother, can you help me with my school supplies, please?? Mommy can’t,” she asked. I noticed the box she had dragging behind her, and smiled a bit. “Mhm- Sure, Staci!” I helped her inside my room, and took her stuff from her. I sat down on the ground, with her sitting next to me, and started organizing her things. She watched, helping me here and there.

   After a moment, I finished, and showed her that it was done. She hugged the backpack, and smiled at me. “Thank you, Eli!!” I smiled back at her, and fixed her hair a bit. “No problem- Now make sure you pack your snack for tomorrow, like mom taught you, okay?? I’ll take care of your lunch,” I told her. She nodded, then got up with her bag, and ran to her room, I presumed. I got up, and walked over to my mirror, starting to fix my hair. It was a mess, and really hard to do. I glanced at my eye in the mirror, that I had now stopped being covered by the bandage. It became uncomfortable to have something right up against it, but I could keep my hair to cover it. While checking to make sure my eye was doing well, a blood curdling scream rang out through the house. Staci’s scream. Wasting no time, I rushed out of my room, down the stairs and into the kitchen. Dad was pulling Staci back by the hair, and the snacks she must’ve been holding were on the ground. 

   I ran over to my dad’s arm, and pulled it towards my direction, pressing a pressure point to make him let go of her hair. He glared at me, and immediately grabbed me by the collar of my shirt. “Who the hell do you think you are?!” He yelled in my face. I noticed Staci back away in my peripheral vision. My dad must’ve also noticed her back away, because he looked at her. “And you, little girl. Who the hell gave you fucking permission to get food?!!” Crap, crap, crap, I need his attention back on me.. “I did!!” I yelled, kicking him in the leg. His head whipped back around, to glare at me again. I felt my body stiffen, but I forced myself to talk. “I did. I gave her permission.” I said firmly, glaring back at him a little. “Pay attention to me, hit me. Do whatever you were going to do to her to me..” I mumbled the last part. He stood there for a moment, then threw me backwards, into the counter. I winced, but managed to not fall onto the ground.

   He stormed out, and left the house, slamming the front door behind himself. Staci ran up to me, and hugged my legs. “Th-Thank you for helping me, Eli-..!!” Her eyes teary eyed as she looked up at me. I smiled a bit, and picked her up. “It’s my job, Staci. You don’t need to thank me.”

)Memory 26 Finished(