Chapter Six

We all arrive at the center island to find a surprise waiting for us. Spewing out of the mouth of one of the Mount Rushmore-esque Ace statue heads is an escalator. Do we trust it? That question is answered after I find myself halfway up the escalator and standing next to Furfur. Well, that explains it.

Once inside of the giant mouth, we all stumble across an elevator. Not knowing what else to do, we all file in. I like to think that we take the ride down to mourn Tristan, but I'm pretty sure that we're all just trying to think of an alternate scenario where we're just less awkward in an elevator and have an actual conversation. Oh well, I guess we're all just normal people at the end of the day.

When the elevator finally releases us, we all wind up walking into a large courtroom. In the center of the room is a circle of podiums, one of which has a monochromatic portrait of Tristan with his face crossed out in pink. I'm guessing that would have been his podium. As we draw nearer, it turns out that every podium has a name carved into it. I find mine and quickly gather my thoughts as my gaze falls on where Monokumace sits in a throne behind Caim's podium.

"Well? Let's get this started! Uhuhu, I'm so excited to finally be here!" they exclaim happily.

"Here's what we know," Stolas begins. "The murderer most likely applied the poison to Tristan's mug up to an hour before the party, otherwise, like Will said, it would have dried up. Meaning that whoever Dana mentioned earlier-"

"Sophie, Caim, Stolas, Marzy, Flauros, Iris, Azrael, and Ryn," Dana recalls.

"-are most likely not the culprit," Stolas finishes. "I believe we should start with the alibis of those who are, in fact, potential suspects. Would anyone like to start?"

"I can," Evangeline volunteers. "Around an hour before the party, I was in the kitchen finishing the Shepherd's pie I cooked. I pulled it out of the oven, set it on the counter to cool, and then left. I was in the kitchen with Dana, Furfur, Rori, and Zeben at that time."

"It was hectic in there," Zeben laughs. "But yeah, that was our group. I remember Evangeline leaving after she took her pie out of the oven. It smelled really freakin' good."

"You said that about everything," Rori reminds him, and Zeben rolls his eyes as a strawberry blush creeps over his face.

"So Will wasn't there," Stolas confirms.

"Oh no, I got there about half an hour before the party," Will says. "I asked everyone if I could record them cooking, and I got some pretty funny videos. I already double-checked them all for any evidence, but I couldn't find anything."

"And when did you leave the kitchen?" Marzy asks.

"Probably after fifteen minutes, because I was kinda getting in the way," Will admits, embarrassed.

"Okay, and were you holding the camera the entire time?" Stolas inquires.

Will nods. "It never left my hands."

"Hold your camera like you normally would," Stolas instructs.

Confused but not wanting to refuse, Will does as he's told, removing the camera from his bag and holding it up for everyone to see.

Stolas thinks for a moment before saying, "If you held it the entire time, that means your hands would have been exposed the whole duration of while you were in the kitchen. Even if you had a free hand to apply the poison to Tristan's cup with, you wouldn't have been able to do so without struggle. Therefore, I highly doubt you're the culprit."

Will's eyes light up. "Oh, thanks, man! I had no idea you were trying to clear me. I owe you one."

"You can thank me later," Stolas replies. "Dana, while you were in the kitchen, how many people washed their hands?"