Chapter Nineteen

Furfur and Marzy.

Dead, right in front of us.  No words escape my mouth as I start crying, then and there.  I'm in such a state of shock that I don't even feel that I'm crying, but I know it.  

I don't know if I actually hear the announcement over the loudspeakers, but I can imagine the words in my head:

"A body has been discovered!  You know the drill- you've got one hour!"

"Everyone, back up," Stolas orders. "If you all want to be helpful, then you'll know to not get in the way.  Go investigate elsewhere if you must."

I feel a firm hand on my shoulder.  

"Sophie."

I wipe at my eyes and whisper, "What?"

"We need to solve this.  You must wipe your tears and, if you must, save them for later.  We have some investigating to do in order to ensure that we don't go into this trial blindly," Stolas murmurs.  His tone is slightly softer than usual.  Not that it's soft, but it's clear that he's trying.

Thankfully, everyone else has started scouring the rest of the music venue by now.  I take another deep breath as I feel my digital handbook vibrate in my bag.  With a heavy heart, I remove it and turn it on.

Case Update

Name of Victim: Florence Jaye

Talent: Ultimate Geologist

Time of Death: 1:20 AM

Cause of Death: Stab wound to chest

Name of Victim: Marzy Farlay

Talent: Ultimate Biologist

Time of Death: 1:25 AM

Cause of Death: Slit throat

Stolas reads over my shoulder. "So Furfur was killed first.  That's good to know."

"Where do we even start with this?" I mumble.

"With the big question- how did they get here and why?  Obviously, there must be a reason why they were out of their rooms so late at night."

It's hard to think with my head spinning so much, but I manage to realize something. "The tree branch?  That was loud."

"I think you may be correct," he agrees. "The sound could have lured them out of their cottages, especially if they were the two closest to the tree."

"Does that mean whoever did this cut the tree on purpose?" I ask.  Trying to focus my attention on solving the case isn't easy, but it's helping me channel my emotions towards something actually helpful.

"That's what Caim, Will, and I noticed when we were looking at the branch," Stolas explains. "It was separated rather cleanly from the tree.  There is no doubt that it was chopped off."

He then walks further into the room and bends down next to Furfur's body, gently moving her as he inspects her injuries, then crosses over to where Marzy is sprawled out lifelessly.

"Anything?"

Stolas frowns. "Nothing that we didn't know already." He looks past me and towards the chess board. "Scotch Game."

"Hm?" What language is he speaking?

"The chess opening.  It's the Scotch Game."

"Oh."