Chapter Twenty-One

Zeben yelps in alarm.  I take a second to process what Iris has just said.  He's just owned up to it.

"You... you did the chess boards?" Azrael asks hoarsely, his voice shrinking to a whisper.  God, I'm so grateful to not be him right now.

Iris holds his gaze. "I did."

I can't even believe what I'm hearing.  All this time, I knew in the back of my mind that the person choosing to tamper with crime scenes instead of helping was one of my classmates, but actually seeing the person reveal himself... It just feels so wrong.  I never thought someone like Iris, who can't even take a compliment, could... oh my god...

"And I assume that's not all you're responsible for," Stolas says.

Iris smiles. "Of course not."

What else?  What the hell did this guy do??

Then, I realize.

"We found the first chess board in the barn before Tristan died," I announce. "With the blood message and the dead cow.

Meaning that the person who did all that

...That was you, Iris."

"There's no point in denying it," Iris agrees. "That was all my doing."

"Why?  Why are you so calm about this?" Will shouts.  I can hear the sheer horror in his voice despite his angry words.

Azrael has gone pale and beyond silent.  He stares at the floor, seeming unable to hear everything that's going on.  I feel awful for him right now.

Iris finally responds, "Because I've accepted what I've did, but I also know that it was the right move."

"You're sh*tting me right now," Dana snarls.  I nearly flinch at her harsh tone.

"You mean to tell me," she continues, her grip so tight on her podium that I half-expect it to snap it half at any moment, "that slaughter, a creepy message in blood, and tampering with crime scenes was the right thing to do?  In what f*cked up world do you think you live in?"