Chapter Twenty-Three

I...

I...

Dear god, Stolas...

I trusted him.  I looked up to him.  I found him insufferable, but in the most respectable ways.  I can't even begin to process just the fact that he lied.  And from there, how am I supposed to process that not only did he murder two innocent people, but also that he set it up to pin the blame elsewhere?  Maybe he didn't... no, he would've known that a wrong answer would have gotten us all killed.  

Maybe I really never learned anything about Stolas after all.

It hurts.

A lot.

I don't even notice I'm crying until from next to me, Will offers me his beanie.  At first, I don't know what the hell he's trying to say, but then I realize how much my nose is running and accept the makeshift tissue.  I don't even look him in the eyes, even when I peel my gaze from the screen displaying the execution- how can I?  Everyone is a liar.  Rori lied, Ryn lied, Stolas lied.  People just keep lying.

"If we're to look on the bright side of things, we're all still alive," Evangeline offers. "Sophie saved us all with that fantastic catch."

I know she's trying to help, an it's appreciated, but it doesn't help the mood.  Everyone is dead silent.

"Well?  Anyone else want to come clean about something?" Dana asks bitterly.  She then takes a deep breath and adds, "Sorry.  Just... knowing that we could've just died because we placed too much trust in the killer himself... sucks a lot."

"How about you all leave the courtroom and take some time to process?" Mononity suggests, still, in fact, upside-down.

"Just get over it!  Stolas was willing to kill you all for reasons he didn't even bother sharing!  Don't waste your time on him!" Monokumace exclaims.

"You know what?  F*ck this!" Will slams his fist on his podium, causing everyone to snap back to reality.

"Why the hell should we be caught up on a dead guy's crimes when we've got other problems?" he continues, pointing accusingly across the room. "Are we seriously gonna be so fixated on emotional sh*t that we just let this psycho roam free?"

Iris, on the receiving end of Will's pointing, doesn't even bat an eye.  Instead, he raises his hands in surrender and says, "Alright.  What do you have in mind?"

Will hesitates. "You're... giving up?  No attempts to run or anything?"

The flautist smiles. "What do you take me to be?  A villain?  A maniac?  No, I'm just a person who does what's necessary to keep things the way they should be.  Balanced.  If you think that the best way to uphold order and peace is by doing something to me, I'm all ears."

The more he talks, the more I'm horrified by this situation.  

"Can I ask you something?" Evangeline inquires.

Iris nods. "That's fine with me."

"Do you really think what you've done is rational?" 

He doesn't even hesitate before answering, "Of course.  Everything I do is for preventing distrust and chaos.  I just do more about those issues than most, because nobody is ever brave enough to do what needs to be done."

"You're delusional," Will seethes. "None of what you did is 'justified' or 'rational'.  And if you really think they are, then you need to be held somewhere for everyone else's safety."

"Oh, do I?  Alright, then, what would you like to do with me?" Iris leans forward on his podium.

Monokumace giggles. "I have extra rope from tying up Mononity.  How 'bout that to keep your little songbird in a cage?"