Chapter Ten

A spy? In the class? Who?

Well, I shouldn't be surprised at this point. There's talking dragon-things and murderers and dead cows. Surely a spy isn't that far-fetched. But still, it bothers me. I'm getting to know all these people, and everyone is so nice. Well, everyone except for Flauros, who's kinda... honestly, I dunno. And En is a bit of a prick, but they're fine otherwise. Stolas... um... I'm sure he's a big softie underneath his surface. Okay, moving on-

Evangeline and I have located the pharmacy, completely stocked up with every kind of medicine or antidote that one could ever need, and the library, completely stocked up with every kind of book or dictionary that one could ever need. Obviously one is much more important than the other. I mean, I guess the pharmacy might be of some use, but whatever. Now that we've finished scoping out the second island, though, we've joined Dana and Marzy at the diner. Dana is exploring the kitchen and bar area, probably already whipping up something in the back. Evangeline and I share a booth, Marzy sitting on the other side. Sure enough, Dana approaches with a tray of water glasses before sitting down next to Marzy.

"How've your days been so far?" she asks.

"Mainly just exploring," Evangeline responds before taking a small sip of water. I might be seeing things, but I swear that she had her pinky extended while drinking. Huh.

"I believe the same goes for everyone else as well," Marzy agrees.

"Yeah, makes sense." Dana thinks for a moment. "Library seems cool. I might go over there and grab a few books later. Give myself a reason to get out of the kitchen for once."

"I'd be glad to come with you," I offer. "I've been looking for things to do as well."

"Do you know what I've noticed, Sophie?" Marzy turns his dark red gaze to me. "Despite all I've heard about your unmatched artistic abilities, I've never seen you put them to use."

Despite all I've heard about YOUR unmatched scientific abilities, you sure as hell didn't do sh*t when Tristan died, is what I want to say, even though I know there's reason behind it and whatever. What? It kind of sounds like Marzy is doubting me. Maybe he should try opening an art program and winging it.

Instead, I smile and reach into my bag, pulling out my sleek art iPad for the first time since before arriving here. But when I go to turn it on...

"Surprised it doesn't work? " Ace is suddenly standing on the table. Marzy nearly spills his water from shock.

"Well, it wouldn't be fair if I let only you have access to your devices," they continue. "So, I loaded all of your art onto your digital handbook because I was feeling nice. And maybe we can even talk about some art software if things are going how I want them to here."

In the blink of an eye, they've disappeared. I frown as I look down at my beloved tablet before tucking it back into my bag and instead removing my digital handbook. As I power it on and do some searching, I do notice a section I haven't noticed before and tap on it. Immediately, a file containing all my old finished projects pops it. With a smug smile, I hand it to Marzy, who swipes through it in awe.

"How's that for putting my skills to use?" I remark.

Dana leans over Marzy's shoulder, her brown eyes widening in surprise. "Damn, some of these are super realistic! Like, I would've thought them to be photographs. And everything else is just so unique- wait, have you done, like, one of every style ever?"

"Maybe," I shrug. "I don't know, I just do whatever I feel like."

I peek over to see them on an abstract piece with lineart of a dog and quickly snatch back my e-handbook. "That one's bad! Don't look at it!"