Chapter Twelve

"A body has been discovered!"

Dear god...

"After a period of investigation, a trial will be held!"

No, I just... I can't believe this...

"Sophie!  Focus!" Furfur snaps her fingers in front of my face.  But she's visibly panicked as well.

I hear shouting outside, and Furfur leaves the pharmacy to yell to everyone about what we found.  I just can't stop staring.  

"Sophie, is everything okay?" Caim exclaims as I hear him enter.  His shoes squeak to a stop against the floor. "Oh my god..."

I inhale deeply and force myself to look away.  I... I don't even know what I'm looking at.  It... there's a lot of blood...

"What are you doing?!" Furfur snaps as Will bends down and raises his camera.  When did he get here?

Will shoots her a look. "I'm documenting evidence.  So we have something to reference if needed during the trial."

The flash of the camera startles me out of my disoriented state, and everything feels real again.  And that's when I know that En is really dead on the ground in front of me.  I feel my e-handbook vibrate in my bag, and I remove it to see that there is already a Monokumace file loaded.

Case Update

Name of Victim: Enton Underson

Talent: Ultimate Dealer

Time of Death: 10:30 PM

Cause of Death: Broken skull

Leave it to Monokumace to put Marzy out of a job.  He runs in a few moments later.

"Is it alright to touch the body just yet?" he asks me. "I'd like to give it a proper check."

"I have no idea," I respond. "Maybe wait for-"

"It's quite alright, Marzy, you can begin your analysis of the injuries," Stolas says as his large figure appears in the doorframe.

Marzy nods and bends down, gently moving En's red-and-cyan hair out of their face so he can get a better look.

"I knew something like this could happen," Stolas mutters, shaking his head. "This was inevitable."

I don't respond; we both know that he was right during our conversation at the beach yesterday.  

His amber gaze flicks over to the chess board set up right next to En's body. "How disgusting."

It is pretty unsettling how one of the tiles on the board is smeared with blood, and a bloodied pawn with a cracked top is discarded on the floor nearby.

"Our chess board culprit without a doubt would have some knowledge of what happened here," Stolas murmurs, his frown deepening as he observes the board. "...I'm not quite sure what this setup is.  It looks like it would continue into the King's Indian Defense, but it's not yet finished.  What's our culprit playing at?"

"Maybe that's a sign that they're not done?" I suggest. "They seem to know what they're doing."

Stolas shakes his head. "I suppose that makes some sense.  King's Indian Defense... I don't get it."

"Severe blunt force trauma that led into severe penetrating trauma once the skin was broken through," Marzy announces. "En's head was bashed against the metal shelf several times.  They would have been facing the shelf, meaning they were caught by surprise."