Epilogue

I hear beeping.  Soft, at first, but it gets louder, sharper, more annoying.  I squeeze my eyes shut further.  I can hear myself breathing still, though.  It sounds like I'm breathing into something, like some sort of tube.  

My limbs feel weak, too.  I try to wiggle my fingers, but I'm drained of energy.  I just want to go back to sleep.  In fact, I just want to sleep for the next thousand years.  

I force myself to open my eyes.  It's bright, way too bright.  I close my eyes quickly.  I'm not ready.  I take a second, then try again, just squinting at first before opening them all the way.  I'm looking up at the ceiling of an unfamiliar room.  The fluorescent lights dim after a minute of adjusting, and I can see people moving around all throughout my periphery.  Standing out against it all, though, is a man towering over me, one foot on whatever pod I'm laying in.  His amber gaze is soft- tired, yes, but soft- as he looks down at me.  

I suck in a breath.  I know I'm crying when I feel tears drip down my cheeks.

"Hello, Sophie," Stolas Urusa says.

***

(197 words)

And it's finished.  Ho-ly cow.  Two/three months!  

Thank you all for reading and sticking with me.  I know this story definitely has some dips/filler, but I really hope it's been worth it.  I'm proud of myself for seeing this through and delivering these characters the justice they deserve.  So thank you again for reading, and I'll say that I'm not done with these characters yet.

Will I be making an aftermath?  Well, probably not.

While I work on the next project, however, please accept some final fun facts:

Some details people didn't pick up on that I think were cool:

-Ryn's profile image, unlike everyone else's, never displayed her last name.  

-Most people didn't pick up on this but one of Iris's first lines was "My parents thought I was crazy." 

-In chapter three, Tristan's voice is describe as "cutting through the air like a blade".  ...didn't end well.

-Iris is one of the people who Sophie talks with about the chess board culprit, and while it's not a detail necessarily, it's ironic.

-Stolas foreshadows his death the entire story

-A lot of what Flauros says and how he acts reflects his childhood and how he grew up (ex. when he asks Sophie if she's challenging him, it could either be part of his persona OR the fact that people would only look at him to judge/bully him)

-During the fourth trial, Caim asks if there could've been an explosion, to which Zeben responds that they would've heard it if it was.  This was major foreshadowing for the two and their connections to Caim's death.

-Flauros helps throughout his trial because he never wanted to win.  It was a murder-suicide.

-The black and white varsity jacket found in Iris's cottage belonged to Evan Rodriguez from "It's Punishment Time".  This isn't mentioned in the story, but Despair!Iris and Evan actually dated.  The relationship was unhinged, to say the least.

IF YOU WANT MORE FUN GLANCES AT THESE GOOFY GUYS, CHECK OUT "GAME OVER"!  IT'S FROM THE GHOSTS' POVS AND GOES DEEPER INTO SOME OF THEIR CHARACTERS AND THEIR MOTIVES.

Thank you all again for reading my silly goofy story.  It means the world to me.

Love you all <3

~Ace