Halls of Splendor:

~Aralia~

I checked my appearance in the mirror. Today was the day when I would finally get to see the palace. I had only heard stories of the beauty and splendor of the king's halls. Some said the candles were even made of pure gold! I twirled in front of my mirror. My pale green dress fluttered like water around my legs. It wasn't as fancy as I would have liked it to be. What could I do about it? I was a commoner, a silvan elf. I had been the bunt of a lot of teasing from other elflings when I was younger. The memories still haunted me to this day. I frowned at how plain I looked. My plain old brown hair with my plain brown eyes. I desired to have the body of most elleths who were more slender than I was. I braided my hair and tied it with a white string. I looked okay, I was nothing special. My Ada greeted me at the bottom of the stairs, "You look lovely."

I kissed his cheek, "Thank you, Ada, I must be going."

He gave me a smile, "Lia, something is weighing you down, I know."

I smiled, "It's nothing Ada, just a little nervous about today."

He gave me a look that said, 'I do not believe you but Okay.'

He smiled, "Be polite and respectful."

I nodded, "Yes of course."

I walked away before he asked any more questions, "Love you, Ada, be home later today!"

He called, "I love you!" After me as I exited through our front door.

I held my head up and started walking towards the main trail to the village. It had rained the night before so the ground was damp and a thick dew clung to everything. A warm breeze whispered through the trees indicating that we were going to have a warm, sunny day. I smiled, the sun felt good on my body. I moved to the side of the path for a group of guards who rode past, no Aerion to be sighted among them. I mentally slapped myself. What did I care if I saw him or not? It's not like he'd ever want to be with a girl like me. The crowned prince of the Woodland Realm with a lowly silvan commoner? I pushed the thought out of my head. I was perfectly happy on my own. Besides, Ada needed me to take care of him. I met Bainwen at the front of the Apothecary shop.

She smiled, "You look lovely, there wasn't any need to dress up."

I blushed, "I know, I figure I should make a good impression."

She looked me up and down, "Elleths."

With that, she turned and started walking down the main path towards the faint outline of the palace. I followed behind her. 

We walked along the path until the path came to a large gate. The butterflies in my stomach danced with more intensity the closer we came to the fortress. I felt like a small mouse standing before the doors. Bainwen stated our business to the three guards outside and they ushered us in. The sights nearly took my breath away. Never in all my life had I seen so much splendor in one place. The place looked like it was made for the Gods. We were escorted through the large halls of the beautiful palace. It was ginormous! I felt my jaw hanging slightly lower.

We came to a large room with a long table. At the head sat a very majestic elf. He had flowy, silvery blonde hair. He had two ice-blue eyes that stared through my soul. I hoped he wasn't one of those elves that could read minds. He was dressed in deep reds and silvers, a crown of twisted branches on his head. He must be the king. I noticed other elves sitting at the sides of the table. They all wore circlets and robes of very bright colors indicating they were wealthy.

The King stood, "Welcome Bainwen. I see we have an agenda to settle today."

Bainwen nodded, "Yes My Lord."