Chapter 185 - 197

Chapter 185

The next morning, Zhi Xia cooked millet porridge. The golden yellow color looked very appetizing. She also specifically made a bowl of steamed eggs.

It was probably because the fruits added to last night's meal that after Pei Meng ate and took a nap, she felt significantly better. Zhao Xin also became much more spirited. They attributed this to Zhi Xia's delicious food energizing them.

Zhao Xin specifically took a few days off to stay home and look after them. Zhi Xia was responsible for making three meals a day. After two days, Pei Meng recovered a lot.

Afraid the effects would be too obvious, Zhi Xia didn't dare give her too many good things, just mildly nursed her so she wouldn't feel so uncomfortable.

Two days later, Zhi Xia was talking with Pei Meng when Zhao Xin's mother, who he had gone to pick up, came in the door.

As soon as she entered, Zhao Mother grabbed Zhi Xia's hand. "This must be her auntie. I heard Zhao Xin talk about her on the road. Thank you for taking care of my daughter-in-law and granddaughter these past few days."

"Sister-in-law, don't stand on ceremony. With my sister-in-law not around, it's only right for me as auntie to take care of my niece. Now that you're here to help keep watch, I can finally stop worrying." Zhi Xia said with a smile.

"Of course. Meng Meng brought our family a big granddaughter. She did a huge deed for our family. I will take good care of her." Zhao Mother laughed cheerfully. She seemed rather warm.

Zhi Xia interacted with ease. As she walked out, she glanced at Pei Meng still sitting there grinning foolishly and frowned.

Zhao Mother was still calling enthusiastically from inside, "Sister-in-law, I just got here and haven't even had a sip of water. I won't go out to send you off."

"Sister-in-law, don't stand on ceremony. My home is right next door, not far. If Meng Meng needs anything, yelling for me will allow me to hear it." Zhi Xia replied.

Hearing Zhao Mother say she hadn't even drank water since coming in, Pei Meng happened to remember that to make drinking water accessible, Zhi Xia had left a warm water bottle by her bedside. She casually said, "Mom, I also can't get up right now. The hot water is over here. If you get thirsty, just go to the kitchen and pour yourself a bowl."

"Oh, okay. Let me go unpack first then. You rest for now." Zhao Mother said before heading out.

Pei Meng didn't know if she was being too sensitive, but she felt Zhao Mother's attitude just now was neither cold nor warm. She couldn't detect any of the warmth Zhi Xia had mentioned.

Outside, Zhao Xin sent Zhi Xia off and politely thanked her for the past few days.

Zhi Xia thought for a moment before cautioning, "Don't get negligent just because your mother is here now to help look after Meng Meng. After all, you and Meng Meng are husband and wife. Your child is both your responsibilities. Your mother coming to help shows her heartache for you, but you can't think that with someone caring for her now, you can just let go."

Zhao Xin smiled and didn't get angry at Zhi Xia's nosiness. "Don't worry, auntie. I understand. Meng Meng had to lie down because she gave birth to my child. I know what's going on."

Hearing him say this, Zhi Xia felt a little more at ease.

When she returned home, Wanqing was asleep. Pei Jing was holding Chenye's little hand to make him toddle around the floor.

The little guy had a very sturdy body. His solid calves weren't any worse than a one-year-old's. Also, recently he had stopped wanting to take afternoon naps and acted quite energetic. He was a bit taxing on the parents though.