Chapter 76 - 82

Chapter 76

Through the two finger holes made by Chen Jingzong, Hua Yang looked inside with a little anxiety.

She saw her father-in-law sitting behind the table at the front, explaining the "Wei Zheng Chapter" of "The Analects of Confucius" to the children.

"Confucius said: 'Guide them with government, regulate them with punishment, and the people are free but without shame.'"

"'Dao' means guidance and governance, 'Zheng' means government, 'Qi' means regulation, and 'Xing' means punishment. Do you remember it?"

"Remember!"

"Okay, Dalang, tell me what this sentence means."

Dalang stood up. From Hua Yang's angle, she could only see the side of Dalang's face, which was very tense.

Facing the book in his hand, he was probably still sorting out his words, and during this period, Chen Tingjian kept looking at him, showing no signs of anger.

Finally, Dalang spoke: "It means, it means, use decrees to guide the people and use punishments to discipline the people, so that the people will not violate the law and will not feel shame."

Chen Tingjian had no expression on his face, turned his eyes, and asked Erlang: "Is your elder brother's explanation correct?"

Erlang stood up, thought for a moment, and said: "The first part is correct, but the saying 'people are free but without shame' is wrong. This sentence should mean that although the people are afraid of punishment and dare not commit crimes, they have no sense of shame and do not know what etiquette, righteousness and shame are. For instance, in the case of committing murder, even though people refrain from wanton killing to avoid legal consequences, their actions might still be inconsistent with propriety. People with a sense of shame should also consciously observe etiquette."

Hua Yang nodded involuntarily. Erlang said it very well. He also gave examples to prove it, making it clear and easy to understand.

She looked at Dalang worriedly again.

Dalang's face turned red and his head had already dropped.

Chen Tingjian snorted, looked at his eldest grandson and said: "You are the older brother, but you can't understand it as well as your younger brother. First of all, the meaning of this sentence is not difficult at all. Even if you are not sure about the meaning of the last sentence, compare it with the following sentence "Guide them with virtue, regulate them with etiquette, there is shame and integrity" You should also know that these two sentences are contrasting. Furthermore, Confucius advocated conducting government with virtue. This is what every teacher will emphasize again and again before talking about "The Analects of Confucius". How could a sage who preaches etiquette and benevolence think that it is enough to govern the people by law alone? As long as you are willing to use your brain more, you will not make such a small mistake. "

At this moment, Dalang's face was no longer red, but turned pale. Hua Yang even suspected that Dalang would cry if her father-in-law continued to speak.

Fortunately, her father-in-law didn't speak further.

Dalang sat down, and Wan Yi beside him quietly shook her brother's hand.

After reading this paragraph and explaining the meaning, Chen Tingjian asked the children to recite it three times.

Hua Yang breathed a sigh of relief inexplicably and left the two finger holes.

Although Chen Jingzong didn't come over to take a look, he could heard the voices inside. Looking at Hua Yang, he whispered: "What would you do if he said this to you when you were a child?"