Chapter 57 - 63

Chapter 57 Magpie's Nest

Even if the father and children smashed their heads, Guan Suyi would not be touched, not to mention they were just making appearance. She tapped her fingers on the table, and said casually, "It's the same sentence, whether the Ye family can stay or not, it's up to Lord Marquis to decide."

She flicked her hand at Jinzi and asked, "Among those people just now, how many married women, elderly, young men and women, and young children are there?"

Jinzi's heart was slightly stunned, secretly thought that Madam's test had finally come, and she couldn't help but racking her brain to recall, hesitantly said, "Reporting to Madam, there are sixteen married women, they are the mistress of Ye Mansion Liu shi, sinner Ye Quanyong's nine concubines, main branch's eldest daughter-in-law Song shi, second daughter-in-law Li shi, fourth daughter-in-law Tang shi, the third branch's madam Wang shi, third branch's concubine Wu shi, third branch's eldest daughter-in-law Zheng shi. There are four elderly people, third old master, third old madam, and also two concubines of Old Master Ye. There are seventeen youngsters... six boys and eleven girls, this servant hasn't been able to differentiate each one, asking madam to please forgive; there are four young children, namely Song shi's young son, Li shi's young daughter, Tang shi's young daughter, Zheng shi's young daughter."

Guan Suyi gave her a thoughtful look, nodded and said, "You miss one person, there are eighteen youngsters, six boys and twelve girls, the youngsters are each branch's di and shu children. Among the twelve young girls only Ye Fu, Ye Fen, and Ye Ran are the di misses, the rest are all excellent-looking people selected from various side branches, they are assess every month, and those who fail to meet expectations will be sent home, and there will be substitutes. The longest one stayed in Ye Mansion for several years, the shortest one only one or two days, you definitely won't recognize all."

Jinzi had been specially trained to recognize many faces in a quick glance and count many people, but Madam had sharper eyes and quicker mind than her, even if the leader of the dark guard came, he would be slightly inferior. Is this the so-called "gift of talent"? Madam is truly extraordinary!

Jinzi was already convinced, but Zhao Luli didn't know what they were going on about, so he couldn't help saying urgently, "Madam, we will count how many people in the Ye family later. Let's find a place for them to settle down first, so they won't get seriously ill by the spring cold weather. Didn't you let me decide? I agree and let all of them stay."

Zhao Wangshu smiled stupidly, thinking that he was looking forward to living with his cousins, but Zhao Chunxi turned pale and was reluctant.

Guan Suyi lowered her eyelids and slowly fiddled with the abacus, "It won't be too late to make a decision after I finish my words. The Marquis Mansion now has 216 people, eight masters and 208 servants. Lord Marquis monthly expenses ranged from 500 to 1,000 taels, and it was as high as 4,000 to 5,000 taels during the New Years. The second master is not in Yanjing, so let's not count him, but sister-in-law is pregnant, and still taking care of Mu Mu, the medicinal materials should not be lacking. There are also four seasons clothes, pearl hairpins, head ornaments and other items, which add up to about 200 taels. The old madam has always been frugal, but as she is getting older, it's indispensable to ask the doctor to check the pulse from time to time, and prescribe a few safety prescriptions. We also have to give offering to the temples, donate sesame oil, and these are 100 taels in total; Zhao Chunxi's monthly silver is 20 taels each month, plus clothes, fabric, jewelry, rouge and other items from time to time, adding up to at least 80 taels. If she want to buy any precious jewelry, it can add up to several thousand taels at a time; Zhao Wangshu is given 20 taels per month, salary of private tutor is 20 taels, and 50 taels for brush, ink, paper and inkstone per month. There are also social amusement, clothes and exquisite items cost nearly 500 taels here and there; the main house has no expenses, so it's only counted as 50 taels. In addition, every few months, there must be weddings and funerals held by close family members or superiors and subordinates, and the gifts will be paid from the public fund, which is also a lot of money."