Chapter 48 - 54

Chapter 48

On the morning of 27th of Second Month, the brothers Chen Jingzong and Chen Bozong still had to go to their respective job, but Hua Yang and Yu Xiu headed to Shiqiao Town after breakfast.

The forty-mile journey was only more than half an hour by horseback, but the carriage would take a whole morning, so the women would go first. Then in the evening, the brothers would ride back and stay for one night in the old house. After lunch tomorrow, the two families would then to go back to the city again. With just one day off, it could only be arranged like this.

The weather was noticeably warmer, one or two peach trees that occasionally appeared on the roadside would be covered with small pink buds, and some of the treetops had bloomed early on the sunny side.

Yu Xiu saw Hua Yang staring at the peach blossoms and said, "There are two peach blossoms in our courtyard. If they bloom, I will pick a few branches and send them to the Princess."

Hua Yang smiled: "No need to bother Sister-in-law, someone else will give it to me."

The first one that Yu Xiu thought was her brother-in-law, and immediately felt annoyed at herself for being so meddlesome. Compared with sister-in-law, the princess of course liked the gift from her husband more.

Accompanied by the cheerful chirping of birds, two carriages and a team of guards finally arrived at Shiqiao Town.

At a glance, the common people knew that the princess and others had come back to visit the Cabinet Elder Chen's couple. Some watched the excitement with relish, while others were no longer surprised and continued with their business.

Before the carriage stopped, Wan Yi, Dalang, Erlang, and Sanlang were already rushing out.

"Mom!"

The sister and brother, Wan Yi and Dalang, both threw themselves into Yu Xiu's arms.

Yu Xiu was so happy and wanted to cry. This was the first time since she became a mother that she had been separated from her children for so long.

Erlang and Sanlang stood side by side. Seeing that there was no one else inside after their fourth aunt Princess got out of the carriage, the two little brothers felt a little aggrieved, and Sanlang even looked like he was about to cry.

When Yu Xiu saw them, she touched the heads of her nephews one by one and explained softly: "We are closer, so we arrived first. Your mother must be on the way too, don't worry."

Hua Yang didn't want to coax the children, but she prepared gifts for her parents-in-law and the children.

Chao Yun received the look from her master, smiled and took out four boxes of cakes from the carriage, giving one box to each child.

With delicious food, the children were very happy.

At this time, Chen Tingjian and Sun shi also came over.

Chen Tingjian still wore a white coarse cloth robe, and his chest-length beard was neatly and elegantly trimmed. After mourning at home for so long, and no longer had to deal with government affairs from dawn to dusk like when he was in the capital, Cabinet Elder Chen, who was in his early fifties, looked a little more energetic and had a bit of an immortal spirit.

It was a pity that the children didn't know how to appreciate their grandfather's grace. They only knew that their grandfather was too strict. As soon as his grandfather arrived, Sanlang, who was in a hurry to open the pastry box, immediately held the box tightly. He was like this, and Dalang and Erlang were even more steady. Only Wan Yi dared to be a little more lively in front of her grandfather.