Chapter 247 - 258

Chapter 247

Pei Jing didn't refuse; instead, he handed over what he held in his hand. "The children are craving them, so I won't stand on ceremony with you. These were originally meant for Uncle, but since Uncle is no longer here, please accept them. Consider it my way of making amends for my reckless behavior when I was young."

"That was years ago. Why bring it up? Besides, my father's biggest regret was being held back from joining the army by the family. On the day you came to pick cherries, he knew about your family's situation and genuinely wanted to help," she explained.

In this world, there are still many good-hearted people.

After some initial reluctance, the man accepted the offering and even suggested they go up the mountain to pick more.

When the man's wife returned and saw the items on the table, she was overjoyed.

Although they were all residents of Jincheng, there was still a significant disparity between them.

Families like theirs had to rely on a single person's income to support the whole family, including several children. They were always frugal and couldn't afford to buy candy or peach pastries for their children.

The items on the table were quite substantial, and they had earned them in exchange for the cherries. It was a profitable exchange for them.

On the way up the mountain, Pei Wanqing ran the fastest, occasionally stopping and waiting for them, impatient with her brother's slow pace.

Zhi Xia carried a small bamboo basket in her hand and found it a bit strenuous climbing the mountain.

Pei Jing silently held her hand, reminding the two children in front to walk slower.

"I can't believe you used to steal things when you were a child," Pei Jing said. His impression of him was mature, composed, and self-restrained, unlike a mischievous child who would steal.

"At that time, there was war, and my mother brought me here to hide. We had no relatives and were fortunate to receive occasional help from the Old Master. But my mother was stubborn and afraid of causing trouble for others. Even when she was seriously ill and near death, she wouldn't let me seek help... When I was young and didn't dare to ask, I secretly picked some. Luckily, I encountered an old man who was a good person and didn't punish me. Instead, he gave me some cherries," he explained.

Listening to Pei Jing's story, Zhi Xia also realized that his childhood was not easy.

They say that children from poor families grow up quickly, which explained why he always gave people a sense of stability and reliability.

Fortunately, she married him, and she knew she had found a treasure.

"All that is in the past. From now on, you will have me and the children by your side. Our family will be happy for a lifetime." She said these words to him, but she also said them to herself.

In fact, he had long since lost those memories; otherwise, he wouldn't have stayed away all these years.

But in that dream, he had also come with a little boy, and the memory seemed to overlap, exceptionally vivid.

The child's innocent words echoed in his ears, "Uncle, I don't want my current father anymore. Will you be my father instead?"

Hearing those innocent words was heart-wrenching and uncomfortable, but it wasn't until he was about to close his eyes that he realized that the boy was his own son.

His son should have grown up safe and happy, but due to Wang Yue's selfishness, he was trapped in a dark family conflict and had been hurt for half his life.