Chapter 103 - 110

Chapter 103 Dead End

To test whether a clan wife was qualified, not only depended on whether she could take charge of the central-feed, handled family affairs, served her in-laws well, assisted her husband and educated her children, but also whether she could hold up the big scene. The so-called big scenes were none other than sacrificial offerings, including family sacrifices, clan sacrifices, big sacrifices, small sacrifices, annual sacrifices, and festival sacrifices, for the mistress of high gate big clan, she even had to participate in the county sacrifices.

A funeral sacrifice such as the present was the most common but also most important ceremony, not to mention that the hostess' family could not make the slightest mistake, even the insignificant servants or guests must follow the rules from the beginning to the end.

If Ye Zhen couldn't support it because of her serious illness, that was still fine, but she was raised too well by Emperor Sheng Yuan. After a few months imprisoned in the palace, not only did she not look haggard, but she became quite plump, her skin was shiny and lustrous, and her posture was graceful. Just kneeling on the praying mat was already panting, dripping with sweat, her cheeks became more rosy due to anxiety, her eyes were misty due to grievance, and her red lips that opened and closed seemed to be groaning and moaning, showing a bit of coquetry for no reason.

Anyone with discerning eyes wondered, where she was sick? It's clearly because the body was too delicate to bear any tiredness! The Ye family was a family that used to offer "tribute", and the rumors that the women in that clan cultivating the art of seduction since childhood to be favored by the nobles resurfaced in everyone's minds, making them both disgusted and contemptuous.

Every time Ye Zhen gasped, the old madam's forehead jumped violently, and finally she couldn't hold back and scolded, "Enough! If you can't hold it, then hurry down, what are you doing lying around here? Old first (tn: referring to ZLL), send her down. Don't come back for the sacrificial offerings in the future!"

Zhao Luli felt uncomfortable by his mother's sharp knife-like gaze, then turned his face to look at Madam, only to see that she had turn a deaf ear and a blind eye, just continued to recite the scriptures, stood up, bowed, and knelt down to worship. She stood at the front of the mourning hall, and everyone stared at her and followed her. When she recited the sutra, everyone recited it; when she got up, everyone got up; when she knelt down, everyone knelt down in an instant. Her every move was natural and smooth, steady as a mountain, and quickly suppressed the chaos caused by Ye Zhen.

Gradually, no one paid any attention to Ye Zhen's blunder, and no one talked about the Ye family's scandal, the Sanskrit sound were loud in the mourning hall, the mournful thought were like waves, and the previous solemnity was restored.

Zhao Luli didn't dare to delay, he quickly lifted Ye Zhen and hurriedly stepped outside. Feeling the delicate and weak body under his hands, smelling her rich and extravagant fragrance, listening to her extremely coquettish breathing, the flames in his chest became more and more intense, but not from desire, but from uncontrollable anger.

"Enough, this is sister-in-law's funeral, can you be more solemn?" he asked in a low voice.

In order to attract Emperor Sheng Yuan, Ye Zhen often pretended to be sick like this. After five or six years, it became a habit that had been carved into the bone marrow. How could she change it at will? What's more, the rumors outside were correct, the daughter of the Ye family had indeed practiced seduction techniques since they were a child. Let her hook up a man she could, let her be pretentious she could, but let her stand on the bright altar, burn incense to pray, correcting oneself and setting an example, she was completely helpless, because she never knew that women could also have courage and iron bones.