Chapter 69 - 75

Chapter 69

In the early morning of the third day after Hua Yang returned to the palace, she was still sleeping in Qifeng Palace. While Emperor Jingshun had already gone to court.

The civil and military ministers stood on the left and right sides of the hall, with two rows on each side.

Chen Tingjian wore the red robe of Cabinet Elder and stood beside the civil servants. Next to him was Cabinet Elder Gao, the current Chief Minister of the cabinet.

Cabinet Elder Gao was sixty-four years old, his hair and beard were already gray, but his waist was still straight. Judging from his momentum, he should be able to serve as the Chief Minister for another ten years.

Chen Tingjian and Cabinet Elder Gao were both confidants and trusted ministers of Emperor Jingshun. They once teamed up with the former Chief Minister to bring down a huge corruption. After the big corruption fell, the two worked together to "invited" the former Chief Minister who had different political views to go home and retire.

When they have a common "political enemy", they were in the same boat. When the "political enemy" that was standing in front of them disappeared, the differences between Chen Tingjian and Cabinet Elder Gao in handling political affairs became more and more obvious. Both want to do practical things for the court and the people, and both want to realize the ambition of peace and prosperity for the country and the people. But one wanted to take the east road, and the other thought the west road was the right way. Naturally, they both wanted to be the head of the cabinet and let others follow their orders.

In the early years, Emperor Jingshun relied more on Cabinet Elder Gao. Later, Chen Tingjian gradually won more of the emperor's heart with his talents. As early as when Hua Yang married Chen Jingzong, Emperor Jingshun had the idea of letting Cabinet Elder Gao retire and promote Chen Tingjian to the position of Chief Minister.

Unfortunately, the old lady of the Chen family passed away, and Chen Tingjian had to return to his hometown to mourn, leaving Cabinet Elder Gao to continue to be the Chief Minister for another two and a half years.

Now that Chen Tingjian was back, all the ministers in the court were waiting to see who Emperor Jingshun would choose.

Emperor Jingshun usually did not participate in political matters and left all affairs to the cabinet he trusted. If the cabinet had not insisted on him coming to listen to politics, Emperor Jingshun would have even wanted to sleep in with his beloved concubines.

But today, he had something to announce.

Sitting on the dragon chair, Emperor Jingshun looked at the two Cabinet Elders standing in the front.

Cabinet Elder Gao was well aware of the emperor's thoughts. When he saw the emperor looking at him, Cabinet Elder Gao's temper rose. His eyebrows dropped, his face tightened, his mouth was pursed, but he straightened his waist even more, expressing his dissatisfaction with Emperor Jingshun vividly.

Others did not dare to lose their temper with the emperor, but he dare. He had served as the emperor's teacher. When the emperor was still a crown prince, he often helped the emperor with advice. At that time, Emperor Jingshun always relied on him in everything he encountered.

This confused emperor, who had been on the throne for a long time and had not encountered many troublesome messes inside and outside the court in the past two years, was deceived by Chen Tingjian. Not only did he marry Princess Hua Yang to Chen Tingjian's fourth son who had no fame at all, but he also wanted to let him retire and asked Chen Tingjian to be the Chief Minister!