Chapter 118 -

Chapter 118

After saying goodbye to Hua Yang, Chen Jingzong quietly returned to his tent.

Fu Gui was lying in the tent, and when he heard some movement, he woke up with excitement.

Chen Jingzong asked him to hold the lamp.

Fu Gui knew that his master would have to leave at dawn, so he did not dare to delay and lit a lamp quickly.

Chen Jingzong asked him to watch outside. He sat at the small desk, tore up a narrow piece of paper and wrote ten small words.

After finished writing and turned off the lights, he put on his clothes and lay down on the wooden bed, taking a nap for half an hour.

When he woke up, the ink on the note had long dried. Chen Jingzong folded it into a ball as big as a fingernail and put it into his sleeve.

When the sky was slightly bright, Chen Jingzong and the other seven commanders had completed the formation of the team.

Ling Rucheng spoke a few words to each commander individually. When it was Chen Jingzong's turn, Ling Rucheng smiled and patted his shoulder: "You have to take the farthest detour here, but don't underestimate the enemy. Be careful on the road."

Chen Jingzong was both the son-in-law of Empress Dowager Qi and the biological son of Chief Assistant Chen Tingjian. Ling Rucheng still gave Chen Jingzong some care. For example, in this instance of dispatching the vanguard to intercept the rebel army at Black Dragon Pool, there were eight mountain routes. The closer they were to the center of Wuduo Mountain, the more likely they were to encounter the main force of the rebels hiding inside. The outside, however, was much safer, albeit requiring more effort to navigate through the mountainous terrain.

When Ling Rucheng was about to take back his hand, Chen Jingzong suddenly held his hand with force, and the frivolous arrogance common to young military attachés appeared on his handsome face: "This time is considered building experience. Next time I have the opportunity to follow you on an expedition, please treat me just like the other commanders."

Ling Rucheng nodded calmly while pressing the small ball of paper with his thumb.

After the eight commanders each led five thousand soldiers to set off, Ling Rucheng went to inspect the progress of the other teams, and then returned to the commander tent.

After sending away all the attendants, Ling Rucheng unfolded the note that Chen Jingzong had given him, and saw ten words written on it – eight scouts to prevent possible collaboration with the enemy tonight.

Ling Rucheng frowned. The rebels were at the end of their rope. At this time, the imperial army could only wait to receive rewards according to their merits. Which fool would risk killing their own nine generations by collaborating with the enemy?

It was impossible, Ling Rucheng felt that Chen Jingzong was too cautious.

But to give Chen Jingzong face, he secretly dispatched eight scouts and asked them to quietly follow the eight vanguard armies, especially to monitor whether there were any changes in each vanguard army tonight.

.

The mountain road was rugged. Chen Jingzong, Ma Hong, and Lu Chengliang led the five thousand soldiers of the Daxing Left Guard, silently and quickly on their way.

Ma Hong held a topographic map of Wuduo Mountain that he had drawn last night. After a short break at noon, he walked for a while. Ma Hong looked at the commander who was far ahead, and then looked at the topographic map in his hand, ran over and said: "Sir, are we going in the wrong direction?"