Chapter 6

Katie

I found this beautiful tranquil park, not far from my place that is perfect for an afternoon of sketching. I have a returning client this week and I'm determined to have her ideas transformed into a kick arse tattoo. The cool grass feels amazing on my bare legs, I can smell the subtle scents of the flowers nearby and there is a quiet energy that wraps around me with a deep calm that I need. I am completely engrossed in my sketch so I don't really notice the heavy pounding of feet until they stop abruptly in front of me.

I look up slowly, appreciating a finely toned masculine body of...Adam. I breath out slowly after being totally busted checking out this seriously fine specimen of a man, but before I can contemplate the situation, he drops his drink bottle, calls me gorgeous and runs off with that smile that makes me feel... well... less like running... and more like staying and seeing what he has to say.

I could run though.

That's my go to move after all. Leave before things get difficult. Questions. Answers I don't want to give. Prying into my life and my fucked up ways. He has given me a few minutes to leave but I take another deep breath and decide to stay. He is intriguing and what harm is there in a few minutes of conversation. I can control myself from losing my shit for a few minutes. Surely. And he is truly a beautiful looking man. It's been a long time since anyone has shown any sort of interest in me. And I have to admit, it's nice having someone smile like that at me. That will probably change if he ever gets to know more about me but hey, a little ego boost wouldn't hurt I guess. I cross my feet over and without even thinking I clench my thighs together. Fuck it has been a long time.

Before I can change my mind he's back and looking absolutely divine with a sheen of sweat glistening over his face and down those hardened arms. His dark long hair is messy and wet, pushed back off his face. Sweet Jesus. The conversation is light and not too intrusive. He tries to guess my occupation and fails but seems genuinely impressed when I finally tell him I'm a tattoo artist. Usually the reaction I get is a little demeaning, like it's not the sort of job anyone would really aspire to. But for me, I worked my arse off to achieve this dream job. But he looks undeniably respectful and for that I feel grateful and like he is actually taking his time to get to know me. I skirt around the next obvious question about my own artwork showing on my thigh but he quickly recognises my reluctance and surprises me with an invitation to join him and his friends at the bar. And even more surprisingly I accept.

I can somewhat panic about that decision later. Right now I'm watching Adam closely as he gets up off the grass to leave. Oh yeah, he's not leaving me wondering about what he's thinking about as his eyes slowly drift over my body. Well two can play at this game as we continue this eye fucking of each other. A quick flick of my tongue over my lips and I feel slightly empowered that I can see how much that just effected this hunk of a man in front of me. Good to know. Tries to subtly adjust himself. Chicks don't miss shit like that either. It's obvious as hell and gives me a second to sneak a look at his growing discomfort.
Phew.

I can be such a messy confusion of emotions sometimes. Well, all the god damn time actually. I'm scared to let anyone close to me but loved the tiniest bit of attention he just gifted me. I'm angry and difficult most of the time, but just giggled and smiled at the few words we exchanged. I feel panicked to meet up with him again but I can't wait to see him. I want to learn more about him but I know that means sharing things about myself that I'm not sure I'm ready to do. Fuck. I'm so confused. I need to talk to Lizzy. She'll know what I should do. Actually she'll probably just tell me to stop being a complete bitch and get out there and give it a shot. I feel slightly comforted that she'll be working the bar that night so if things go sideways I can just escape out the back staff room and hide. Mature. I know.

Before I know it, a few hours have passed, my design is mostly complete and I'm suddenly hungry. Time to head home. For the first time in awhile my mind drifts to the girl. I wonder if she has met someone special in her life. Someone to cherish and call her own. Or does she wander aimlessly from one person to another, never committing, never settling, just using others for her own means and pleasure. My jaw feels tight and my shoulders are hunched, my whole face feels like it's scrunched up with disgust at the thought of her roaming around taking liberties with others hearts and feelings. So fucking typical that she'd be a user like that. Never appreciating those around her. Never appreciating the opportunities she was given but never earned.

By the time I arrive home I feel hot and angry and in desperate need of a drink. Fuck.