Chapter 25

Adam

It had taken a bit of time, but we finally fucking managed to get a Saturday night free for the dinner party. It was always a night I enjoyed and I couldn't wait for Katie to join our little tradition. Her and Sam went shopping the week before last and had picked out dresses that I had been banned from laying eyes on. I had a feeling that we were all going to get a few surprises before the night was over.

I hadn't seen much of Katie, but fuck I'd missed her like crazy. Her touch, her smell, the feel of her skin on mine, her eyes and that beautiful fucking smile that seemed to happen a little more often. I hoped I had something to do with that. I hoped more than anything that she missed me even a fraction of the amount that I missed her. She was becoming a permanent fixture in my head and all I wanted was more.
More of her.
More of us.
Just more.

I know she's got her issues but that searing anger that she carries like protective armour seems to be dwindling away. I know she's scared of us moving too fast but I swear I'd never fucking hurt her. Upfront and honest is what I want to be and that's all I ask of her. I don't want to doubt that what we have is something that could be long term. I don't want to doubt fate because I feel so fucking drawn to her. Like I couldn't stop this roller coaster even if I tried. And not that I'd even fucking want to.

I wander into the bathroom to fix my black tie, smoothing down my charcoal shirt and giving myself a last minute look before grabbing my suit jacket. Maria has been prepping and cooking for most of the afternoon and the smells wafting upstairs are nothing short of mouth watering. Sam has been concocting a playlist for the night, assuring me that there's a mixture of tunes to suit the night. Maria has set the dining table beautifully and the only lighting is from the candles and some fairy lights Sam insisted on having draped across the top of the high windows. I had moved the couches to allow for enough space for a dance floor. I have no idea if Katie likes dancing but I fully plan on finding out. And even if she doesn't, I'll be holding her so damn close she won't know where she ends and I begin to even care. Fuck, did I mention I've missed her? My dick twitches at the thought of my hands gliding over her bare back, down to that perfect arse... my phone chimes with a txt message. The car would have picked Katie up ten minutes ago so I wasn't surprised about a message given that I hadn't told her about the specially planned chauffeur driven ride. I can't help but smile as I pick up my phone.

Her: Having a few drinks with friends. You should come join us. We can pick up where we left off the other morning. Jodie x

That was not the txt I was expecting or even wanted to fucking see. This girl is seriously starting to piss me off. I don't want to be rude to her because she plays an important part in Sam's health but I have to find a way to shut this down and fast. Nothing has happened between us and I'm not interested at all. But the way she words her messages definitely suggests we've hooked up and are still hooking up. The last thing I need is for Katie to see these and assume the worst. Fuck, if I saw them I'd suspect the worst. I've not replied to any txt but she occasionally slides one in about Sam and her care, so I'm forced to make contact. Fuck. How did things get so complicated? I'm pacing around trying to think this through when the phone chimes again. Fuck what now?

It's a photo from Katie.
From the back seat of the car.
Long black dress with an equally long slit up the side.
Plenty of leg, tattoo showing and heels.
Glass of champagne in hand.

Katie: Are you ready for me?

I reply immediately.

Me: Always x

I feel better straight away and quickly forget about the messages from Jodie. I place my phone up on the bookshelf and turn towards Sam's room.

"Katie's nearly here. Are you ready Sam?" I yell through the half open door.

"Coming. Coming. Coming," she bounces around the corner and almost crashes into me.

"Woah there sunshine," I catch and steady her.

If anyone can pull off a pink shimmering dress it's my sister. She looks fucking gorgeous with matching flats, simple makeup and her hair up in a bun with a few tendrils left loose on either side. Her cheeks are flushed with excitement and her eyes are bright and happy. I suddenly feel overwhelmed with love for my beautiful girl. I'm so grateful she's here. I'm so thankful we have each other. She is so brave and strong and I feel nothing but admiration for the amazing fight and spirit she's shown throughout her life. Nothings been easy and we have been through some incredibly painful times but here and now, life is good. Tonight is about remembering some of our past, but more so to celebrate and enjoy our here and now. I look down at her and can't help but squeeze her in a tight brotherly hug.

"Adammmmm, my hair," she complains as I gently pull away and try and not mess her hair. I smile at her again and she grins widely.

"I'm soooo excited...I could.... I could just POP!"

She always has a way with words. Simple yet perfectly accurate. She just has a precise way of seeing her life and the people in it. You need simplicity and honesty... she'll give it to you by the bucketload. The doorbell rings and Sam squeals in adorable innocent delight. My thoughts however, aren't so innocent as I anticipate seeing Katie in her dress and heels. Plenty of ink and skin on show. Fuck, I wonder what she'll have on underneath...

Sam rips the front door open and both her hands cover her mouth and she attempts to drown out yet another squeal of delight. Katie steps inside and smiles warmly at my sister. I can see how deeply she feels about her and how much she adores her in every way. I can't imagine how I was ever apprehensive about introducing them because it is so clear how much they care for each other. While the girls gush over each other, I can slyly give this tempting goddess the once over from her hair to her heels and back up again. She looks fucking amazing as I knew she would. Her black floor length dress hugs her figure in all the right ways, the long slit showing glimpses of her tattoo of roses, her hair up in the same style as Sam's, subtle makeup with the exception of her deep red lipstick. My brain can't decide where to focus and my imagination starts kicking off.
First her lips.
Fucking hell.
What I wouldn't do to have those wrapped around my...

She seems to have heard my thoughts and turns to look my way. I give her a small smile from across our makeshift dance floor and shamelessly let my eyes wander up and down her. I take a deep breath and I look back up to her eyes. Her expression gives nothing away but she makes sure I'm looking at her closely as she gives a slow once over of me, as I just did to her. Her eyes eventually reach mine again and I look at her with a raised eyebrow and an even bigger smile. Like we didn't just fucking bust each other checking the other out. She lets out a gorgeous laugh. It's beautiful and contagious just like her. Sam beams at us both wandering what was so funny. I shake my head and close the gap between us, wanting to feel her because... did I mention how much I've missed her?

"Hi," I gently touch her hand, sliding my much bigger fingers between hers.

I'm tempted to say fuck dinner and just take her upstairs to my room but for the sake of my sister, I'd better stick to my gentleman act a little longer. Katie's fault entirely for looking so fucking good. I'm still distracted by my thoughts and images of what she's wearing underneath, but I manage to get a few coherent words together. Fuck it's going to be a long night.

"You look... ," I lift her hand up in mine to above her head and let her twirl around like a ballerina in a slow circle.

"....stunning," and she truly does.

I'm a gentleman.
I would never lie.

She looks at me again and smiles, a bit more shyly this time, as she slides her other hand up my chest, the side of my neck and into my hair just behind my ear. It sends waves of goosebumps all over me, just the slightest of touches has my heart beating faster, my breath a little ragged. What the fuck is she doing to me? The whole room fades away and I can only focus on her. Just her. She reaches up and pulls me closer and caresses her lips against mine.
Softly.
Tenderly.

She pulls back and I try and chase her mouth but her hand slips back down to my chest stopping my desperate need to just have more of her. She moves her head to the side of mine and quietly whispers in my ear.

"And you look good enough to eat," she backs away, grins and fucking winks at me.
Fuck.