Chapter 24

Katie

It could have been awkward but it wasn't. The post-sex coffee and food satisfied our other hunger as we chatted away, the conversation easy and fun, interesting and relaxed as we sat on my couch, taking the time to get to know each other more.
It was nice.
Really nice.
We laughed and smiled, sharing more of ourselves with each other. I felt lighter than I had in a long while. Hatred and anger were emotions best left for another day. Not here. Not now. I pushed any negative thoughts way, way down, not interested in the slightest to bring them to the surface. I wouldn't allow the fucking girl any of my time, effort or attention today. That was exclusively reserved for this charmingly hot man currently occupying a large portion of my couch.

His phone chimes with the sound of an incoming message.

"Sorry, I should check that," he's apologetic but I'm not fussed.

"Sure, go ahead," I smile at him, as I get up from the couch, collect our plates and take them back into the kitchen.

I glance over at my reflection in the splash back and I can't help but smile. That is going to be one hell of a great memory. I look back over to Adam and he's frowning down at his phone. I'm not used to seeing anything but a smile, so I feel a twinge of concern.

"Everything okay?" I ask, hoping he'll hear my concern and not think that I'm prying.

His frown immediately changes to a blank, somewhat unreadable expression as he taps his phone screen quickly and shoves it back into his pocket.

"Fine. It was...umm... just a... just nothing important," he says with that flat look on his face.

Well, I don't claim to know him. Shit, I don't know him much at all. But I can sniff bullshit a mile away, and that was, without a doubt, not nothing.
Why would he do that?
Is he hiding something?
It's no surprise that my brain suddenly powers into insecure overdrive. He's not even looking at me, finding the floor suddenly the most interesting thing in the world.

Now it's awkward.

I want him out of here. I don't want to jump to conclusions and I don't want to say something I'll regret. I would normally just run. But I can't run. It's my fucking place. The coffee and food suddenly rolls around my stomach and I feel nauseous.

His phone rings. Fuck what now? At first he seems apprehensive but he pulls his phone back out of his pocket and a relieved smile takes over his face. It's clearly someone else trying to contact him. None of my fucking business as I move toward my laundry room. May as well start some chores, give him the hint that I'm busy and it's time for him to go. I need some space. He's been so honest with me so far, almost blatantly honest, so I'm hurt and confused as to what just happened.

I'm surprised to hear him gently call my name.

"Katie, it's for you," he grins at me. "It's Sam," he swings the phone in my direction for the FaceTime call.

My mood immediately lifts as this gorgeous girls smiling face fills the screen. I go to say hi, but I'm not quick enough as Sam gushes her excited questions at me.

"Are you coming? Do you have a dress?" The enthusiasm is seeping out of her like a torrent.

"For what?"

"Adammmmmm! Did you ask her?" She's scolding him with her frustrated look. He holds both hands up as a silent defence.

"I haven't had a chance to yet," was his reply. I look to him and back to Sam on the phone. Confused.

"What's going on?"

"Well, Sam and I have this tradition. Every few months, we hold a dinner party. Just us. And...umm we'd like..."

"Your coming! Yayyyy! Two rules. It's formal and no jewellery allowed." Sam is just about bursting.

It's so fucking cute. How could I ever refuse this amazing force of nature! I laugh at her beaming smile. I don't even need to reply to her. It's a given that I'm coming to dinner. I glance over at Adam, trying not to let my smile fall too much, the mystery of the earlier message still cracking away at a bit of my confidence in him.

Of course he's smiling.
Always smiling at me.
Is it a smile that I can trust though?
That is the question?
The answer will come in due course I'm sure, but will it mean he will protect my heart or break it...