41

"When are you leaving?" Lance asked Veronica.

"Wow," she said. "Tryna get rid of me, are you?"

Lance rolled his eyes at his sister's playful remark. "Was just wondering," he said. "It's getting dark and all."

Veronica looked over through the blinds of three dorm room. "It is isn't it?" Veronica's gaze lingered on the dimming light outside, her face adopting a contemplative expression.

Lance immediately picked up on her mood, even though it wasn't evident on her face. He could tell strictly by aura. "Hey," he said softly, scooting in closer to her and placing his hand on her shoulder to get her attention. "I know how you feel about driving at night. You can stay over and leave in the morning?"

Veronica hesitated for a moment, looking between the brothers. "Are you sure? I don't want to impose."

Keith, who had been quiet, watching the exchange, chimed in, "Stay, Veronica. It'll give me an excuse to take a break and actually sleep tonight." He offered a weary but genuine smile.

"See? It's unanimous then," Lance said, his tone light. "You're staying."

Relieved, Veronica's smile deepened. "Thanks. Really, it means a lot."

"You can sleep in my bed," Lance said. "I'll take the floor."

Veronica shook her head, laughing softly. "No way, I can't let you do that. We'll figure something out," she insisted, her tone light but firm.

"You can share with me, Lance," Keith said bluntly, as if it wasn't a big deal at all. Maybe it wasn't, but Lance couldn't help but feel a flutter of anxiety in the pit of his stomach, unsure if it was a good or bad feeling.

Lance glanced at Veronica and she gave him a look as if asking if Lance would really be okay with that, knowing the deeper feelings Lance was experiencing.

Lance gave Veronica a subtle nod, masking the hesitation in his eyes with a grin. "Yeah, that works," he said, trying to sound casual. "Just two bros... sharing a bed, nothing wrong with that," he stated. "In a very confined... tight... close together, twin, small bed," he added below his breath, nobody even fully understanding whatever it was he was yapping about.

Veronica chuckled softly at her brother's awkwardness, the amusement evident in her eyes. "As long as everyone is comfortable," she said clearly to all parties, but gave Lance a knowing look, as if she was directing her statement towards him.

Keith nodded, his expression relaxed. "Yeah, totally fine by me."

The room settled into a comfortable silence for a moment, each of them lost in their own thoughts. Lance took the opportunity to rearrange some pillows, trying to make the space feel more accommodating. His actions, slightly overdone, only served to amuse Veronica further.

"So, what's the plan for tonight? Movie? Late night snack raid?" Veronica asked, her voice bright and lively, cutting through the quiet of the room.

Lance perked up at the suggestion. "Movie sounds great. I'll let you pick since you're the guest of honor tonight," he said, with a playful bow in her direction.

Veronica laughed heartily. "How about something classic? Maybe a comedy or an old-school sci-fi?"

As Lance busied himself setting up the area and getting things ready, Veronica leaned over to Keith, lowering her voice just enough so Lance couldn't hear. "Hey, thank you for letting me stay. I know it's a bit cramped here."

Keith waved off her concern. "Honestly, it's nice having someone else here. It changes the dynamics a bit. Makes everything feel less... intense."

Veronica smiled at his admission. "Glad I can help lighten the mood."