The sky is crying

Nat POV:
(5th April 2021)

"You- you mean it?" I ask her, my voice trembling with emotion as tears well up in my eyes. Victoria smiles and nods, her eyes shining with happiness. "Well, in that case, Victoria, I like you too," I confess, feeling a wave of relief and joy wash over me. Happy tears stream down my cheeks as I look into her eyes, my heart full of joy and gratitude. Victoria meets my gaze and nods before bursting into laughter. "Oh god, this was definitely scarier than I thought," she chokes out between laughs, her tears mixing with the raindrops around us. I nod, smiling through my own tears, feeling a sense of lightness and warmth in my chest. I pull her into a tight hug, feeling her bury her head in my shoulder. My hands wrap around her waist as she holds me tightly around my neck, our bodies pressed close together in the rain. Time seems to stand still as we stand there, embracing each other, the sound of the rain providing a soothing backdrop to our shared moment of vulnerability and connection.

After what feels like an eternity, we finally pull away, both completely drenched but smiling brightly. "I actually wanted to ask you if you'd like to go on a date with me," I laugh, my heart fluttering with anticipation. Victoria nods eagerly, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "Of course, YES!!" she exclaims, her joy infectious as we stand there.

Vicky POV:

I glance at Nat and a smile automatically spreads across my face. She's stunning and she actually likes me back. The night has fallen and we gaze at the city skyline. "I love rain," I murmur and she grins at me as our eyes lock. "Why?" she inquires and I think for a moment. "I don't know... I guess it's like the sky is sharing tears with you. And now I'm crying happy tears, so the sky is celebrating with us," I explain, feeling a bit embarrassed by how cheesy it sounds. "That sounded a bit stupid, I'm-" I start to say, but Nat interrupts me. "No, I like it. I've never thought of rain in that way before. It's a beautiful perspective," she says. "I love dancing," Nat adds, sparking an idea for a potential date in my mind.

"Cmon let's go inside now" Nat suggests, extending her arm for me to take. We make our way to the door on the rooftop and find ourselves in a small hall with just an elevator. As we wait, I turn to Nat, "Would you like to hear a new song I've been working on?" She nods in excitement. "Let's change first, and then I'll come over to your room, okay?" Nat proposes, and I agree. We part ways and head to our own rooms. Opening the door to my room, I half-expected Yelena to be waiting for me, but it's empty. It's late anyway. I quickly change into comfortable clothes and remove the leftovers of my makeup that had been smudged by the rain.

---

After about 10 minutes, there's a gentle knock on my door. "Come in," I say, and Nat walks in with a bright smile. "So, new song?" she grins, and I nod, feeling a rush of excitement. "I'm not planning to release it with the mini album I'm working on, but I've had this song ready for a while. I just never showed it to anyone," I explain, feeling a bit vulnerable but also eager to share it with her. Nat nods in understanding. "So, I'm the first," she smiles, and I nod back. "Yeah, I guess so." I head over to my guitar and sit down on my bed, while Nat settles in front of me on the floor, her eyes fixed on me with anticipation. I start to play the notes to a song I wrote about 8 months ago

(Enchanted originally by Tailor Swift)

There I was again tonight
Forcing laughter, faking smiles
Same old tired, lonely place
Walls of insincerity, shifting eyes and vacancy
Vanished when I saw your face
All I can say is, it was enchanting to meet you

I keep my eyes fixed on my guitar, my fingers strumming the strings nervously. I can feel Nat's gaze on me, but I'm too scared to look up and meet her eyes. My heart pounding in my chest as I wonder what her reaction will be. I'm afraid of disappointing her. Despite my fear, I continue playing, the melody carrying my emotions even as I keep my gaze down, unable to face her in that vulnerable moment.

Your eyes whispered, "Have we met?"
'Cross the room your silhouette
Starts to make its way to me
The playful conversation starts
Counter all your quick remarks
Like passing notes in secrecy

And it was enchanting to meet you
All I can say is, I was enchanted to meet you

I catch my breath and glance up at Nat, who flashes me a smile that lights up her face. Her eyes, like shimmering emeralds, draw me in, and I feel myself getting lost in their depths. Determined not to lose my rhythm, I keep singing, locking eyes with her and only sparing a quick glance down to check my fingers on the guitar.

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

The lingering question kept me up
2 AM, who do you love?
I wonder 'til I'm wide awake
And now I'm pacing back and forth
Wishing you were at my door
I'd open up and you would say, "Hey"

It was enchanting to meet you
All I know is, I was enchanted to meet you

Nat understood the way I wrote the song and soon she was humming along to the lyrics. She seemed a bit unsure if she had the words right, but I couldn't help but smile at her effort.

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
That this night is flawless, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

I spent weeks crafting this song, at one point, a wave of fear washed over me as I wondered if she was already taken, if she was crushing on someone else.

This is me praying that
This was the very first page
Not where the story line ends
My thoughts will echo your name, until I see you again
These are the words I held back, as I was leaving too soon
I was enchanted to meet you
Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you
Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
This night is flawless, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you
Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

I finish playing the last chords and smile at Nat. "Who's it about?" she asks, and I freeze slightly. "It's about... uh, it was just a storyline. I wrote it, but it doesn't have anything to do with my real life," I quickly fabricate a lie. The thought of telling her this song is about her right after we confessed our feelings is too overwhelming for me.

"Oh, well, it's beautiful anyway. You should release it someday," she responds, and I sense a hint of disappointment in her tone, but I try to brush it off. "I don't know when, but I will," I say with a smile, and she nods in return.

"Do you want to stay here and watch a movie? Only if you want, of course," I ask her tentatively. "I'd love to," she grins, and I excitedly jump on the bed and turn on the TV. I open Disney+ and scroll through the options as Nat settles down next to me. "What do you want to watch?" I inquire, and she ponders for a moment before deciding on "Mulan." "Ooh, I love Mulan," I grin, typing it into the search bar and starting the movie before leaning back, feeling content in the moment.