Chapter 49

Monday, January 23, 2023.

"Oh hello cavalry!" Rin greets us.

On our way to school, we meet Tohsaka, a beaming smile on her face.

"Hello, Tohsaka-san, I see you're in a good mood today." Haruko said.

"Indeed, I'm in great shape! Totally ready for the upcoming tests! Oh dear, there's someone new in the gang." She said, looking at Asia. "The new little blonde head, Asia Argento, do you live at Emiya-kun's house too?"

"Um... Yes! He has graciously accepted me to live with him!" She said in an embarrassed tone.

"I see... well, it's going to look like you're collecting them, Emiya-kun." Said Tohsaka with a smirk.

"Hm? Why? Is that weird?" I ask, lifting my nose from my phone.

"..." She looks at me confused, then pulls herself together. "Nah it's nothing, you're going to have to work on your sense of humor. Anyway, Emiya-kun, I'd like to talk to you in private, if you don't mind."

"Oh okay no problem, we're early anyway." I put my phone away approaching her.

"We'll let you off the hook, it sounds important, but don't take too long, okay?" Haruko calls out to us, sounding embarrassed about something.

"Okay, I won't hold him long." She said, motioning for me to follow her.

I wave to the girls, then follow Tohsaka as she takes another, slightly longer route around the hill.

"So, what do you want to talk about?" I ask.

"At some undetermined date, I'll be invited to the clock tower, as an exchange student."

"Ok... And what does this have to do with me?"

"Well," She turns her face toward me. "I can bring another student with me, as a sidekick. "

"...Wait, you want me to come with you to the clock tower?"

"Exactly."

"Why me, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could benefit from it."

"You're the only person here I know who comes close to being a mage, or at least uses his magical circuits. As you might imagine, it's a requirement to go to this school."

"Yeah ok... that's not wrong... But there's another problem."

"Your last name isn't it? Kiritsugu Emiya, the mage-killer, it's true that it's not very appealing, especially to these mages. But don't worry about it, if you come with me, there shouldn't be any problem."

"Kiritsugu has quite the reputation..."

"You have to believe yes. So, are you going to come with me or not? It's a golden opportunity to improve yourself and learn a lot."

"...I'm going to need some time to think, I guess I have, if you're telling me it's not for now."

"Oh absolutely, I'll let you know as soon as I get the invitation."

"Got it."

"Well, let's talk about something else, I saw you running yesterday with a skinny blond guy on a scooter, who is he?"

"Um..."

I dodge the subject and talk about something else, a friendly chat until we get to school.