9| Come Once, Ask Once 🌶️

We came down and he left my hand the moment we stepped down the last step of the staircase

We came down and he left my hand the moment we stepped down the last step of the staircase. I felt frustrated at his gesture, but he joined his hands to greet some known faces of our city.

He looked at me with a side glance and I joined my palms too with a fake smile.

"Lagta hai Thakur saheb apni khoobsurat biwi ko kisi ke samne nahi lana chahte the isliye chhup ke shadi ki."

"Feels like Mr. Thakur didn't want anyone to see his wife that's why he married her in private."

One of them spoke and I could sense how pissed off he was with that statement.

"Chhupane ki zarurat unhe hoti hai jo bachane ka dam nahi rakhte."

"Those who can't protect prefer hiding."

He replied and the man frowned. What the hell! Are they going to fight now?

I saw Ma coming to us and their provoking gaze broke. Ma welcomed that guest and asked us to get seated on the sofa that was placed on the stage.

It was mesmerizing! The Thakurs love to show their money for sure. He shifted his hind arm towards me and I wrapped my hand around it. We walked together and sat there.

The function began as a few famous celebrities were invited to perform here. Honestly, I wasn't in a good mood anymore. His one 'yes' ruined everything. How many women had he slept with? Did he love someone? Is she still there in his life? There were thousands of questions running in my mind and a fake smile was trying hard to hide my insecurities.

I saw Ma coming up with a man and woman. Ma was carrying a baby in her arms and that man was looking somewhat like Thakur saheb. He could be his brother.

"Daughter! Meet Dhanraj and Ragini."

Ma said and I smiled with joined hands.

"Dhanraj is my younger son - the second one....and Ragini is his wife."

What? His younger brother was married! Why was he married before him? It was becoming difficult for me to maintain that fake smile on my face anymore.

Dhanraj bowed down and touched my feet. I placed my hand on his head and managed to say

"You are elder to me..you shouldn't do this."

"Bhabi... you are Bhaiya's wife and this reason is enough to make me touch your feet."

He said straightening up, and I smiled genuinely this time. He seemed calm and composed unlike that youngest Thakur brother.

"May I call you 'bhaiya'?" I asked him and he nodded with a smile.

His wife came to me and bowed down, but I held her midway shaking my head. She was definitely elder to me so I couldn't let her touch my feet. We shared a warm hug and she felt heaven.