21| Post Wedding Rituals

"Aaj raat apko pata chalega

"Aaj raat apko pata chalega...chuha kutarta hai to kaisa lagta hai."

"Tonight you would experience, how it feels when the mouse gnaws."

I gasped, and pivoted my head into his direction, with amazement.

He deciphered my timidness, and embraced me, like a side hug, and I placed my head on his chest, stroking his abdomen.

Our mansion wasn't afar, so we reached within half an hour, and he unlocked the rear door for me, welcoming me like a Princess.

I came out, and we proceeded to the main entrance of the mansion, and my mother-in-law was waiting for me, with Aarti thaal. Ragini didi was standing beside her, carrying rice filled kalash in her hands.

I peeped around, and saw Dhanraj bhaiya standing behind us, carrying baby Mandira in her arms, who had woken up now, and was enjoying the late afternoon sun bath.

My mother-in-law completed the aarti ceremony, and Ragini didi did it too. They applied kumkum and tilak on my and his forehead, respectively, and asked me to prod the kalash lightly, with my right foot, and I did so.

My footprints were taken on a white cotton cloth, and it was folded later on, to be kept safely in the tijori (locker).

"Didi, why did Ma do so?"

I asked Ragini di, out of curiosity.

"Since we are Lakshmis of this family, Ma believes that keeping our footprints in the locker, would attract prosperity in the family, and you know, this actually happens. Balraj bhaiya wasn't home before my arrival, but the twist of events united all the brothers."

She explained to me, and I nodded with a smile.

"But those circumstances weren't favourable for you."

I murmured, remembering her first night, about which my husband had told me.

"That was destiny, Manu! I think those incidents happened so that the family could come together. Also, his wrath after that, proved his genuine love for me. Whatever happened that night was under the effect of drugs, but what transpired after that, was his real temperament."

She asserted, and I was practically impressed by her mindset, and the way she visualises life

"So, ladies and gentlemen, are you all ready for the most awaited game to be played by the bride and the groom - fishing the ring!"

Jairaj bhaiya bellowed, and everyone guffawed at his gesture, as he was standing on a chair, holding the plate filled with milk, flower petals, vermillion and scents.

"Not before the aarti son!"

My mother-in-law asserted, and we advanced to the temple, following her. Ragini di had already bedecked the Pooja thaal, and I performed the aarti. My parents-in-law blessed me, and I progressed to touch the feet of Dhanraj bhaiya and Ragini di, but they stopped me midway.