26

Steve was restless, and had been for days since Eva had left. He'd prowled the house, consumed cups of blood after blood, but nothing quenched the thirst.

Nothing compared to her.

He was yearning for his mate and he knew it.

Shit. This had gone too far.

He downed another glass of blood and simply threw it into the fireplace, hearing it shatter against the brick and fall into the flames.

Even the strongest of vampires had their weakness and she was his. He'd managed to hide it at court, heading to the table and drinking a few glasses of blood. Bucky had raised a quizzical grow at him but he'd said nothing, simply assuming that Eva had felt uncomfortable in the presence of so many of their kind.

The pull to her was tugging harder than ever. Her heart beating but occasionally hitching.

He hated feeling her cry. Even more so now everything had intensified. So far he'd managed to keep himself away from Barton's farm, knowing his friend would shoot him on sight if he set foot there, but just how long would he even be able to hold that urge back if he'd failed to do so the other evening.

The guilt he felt was burning through him, eating away until there would be nothing else left. He'd kept to his room today, refusing to see anyone and only opening the door to take the blood that the servants would leave for him outside. Perhaps he would waste away in this room, go insane. Either one, but he would happily do it if it meant keeping Evangeline alive and away from a monster like him. Because that was what he had become.

The door opened and heavy footsteps crossed the floor, Bucky settling himself in the chair across from Steve. He'd never seen his friend look in such a state of turmoil. He'd heard that Eva had been attacked and was now at Barton's, but he knew there was probably more to the story than his friend was letting on.

"Who let you in". Steve said, not looking at him and just staring at the fire.

"Let myself in pal". He replied, "So...you attacked Eva and now she's at Barton's".

Steve nodded. "Yep. That's it".

"You can't lie for shit - what's really going on? Because you're the strongest fucking one of our kind and yet you suddenly attack the human that you took in to protect?"

"Yep...I was thirsty and wanted blood. She was obviously the nearest source". He said, still not looking at Bucky.

His friend shifted and watched him. "Steve...I wanna help you. We're worried about you, and if something happens which means you need to come to court then they're gonna be concerned as well. They'll lose their trust in you".

"Let them".

Bucky grunted a 'for fuck sake' under his breath and then sat back again. "So, you're just gonna keep Eva at Barton's then? No apology for almost killing her?" He saw his friend's hands grip the arms of the chair hard. Good, he was finally hitting a nerve. "You love her don't you? But you won't tell me because you think I'll judge you".

Steve slowly turned his head to look at his friend. Eyes red where no other's blood was helping him, and Bucky now looked shocked. "I still haven't told her, and this is the consequence..."

Both Sam and Bucky looked shocked at just how far this had gone. Their friend didn't need to confirm that he loved the human, because it was clear for them to see. They'd kept quiet about the situation for long enough, but now they needed to step in.

"Her blood is the only thing that keeps me from losing control, but...it's got too much. I decided not to tell her - I didn't want this way of life for her and she was content with the situation we had, it was before I fell for her. You can be mated with someone without loving them, remember".

"Steve - what Eva wants isn't for you to decide. It's her decision. If you'd told her and she'd said she wanted to live this way, and with you? This wouldn't have happened".

"I know, and that's my regret to live with".

Bucky looked at him. "You need to tell her, you have nothing to lose".

"I could lose her, now more than ever".

"But you won't know unless you find out? That woman loves you and I know it - I saw it when you brought her to introduce to us and I saw it at court. The way she looks at you? It says it all. So are you gonna go fight for her or you just gonna let her go and throw everything away?"

Steve was silent, pondering over Bucky's words - however he didn't have much time as his friend's senses now picked up something. "What is it?" He asked as Bucky held up his hand to pause him for a moment as he listened. Clearly he was talking to Nat, and suddenly was on his feet.

"We need to go".

"Buck?"

Bucky turned to him. "Barton's farm is under attack, hydra vampires apparently - they're fighting them off but they've taken Eva".

"Where?" Steve urged.

"The direction of the city..."

Sam was waiting for them outside. "Nat's tracking them to the city, she's got the guards on standby - Barton's injured but nothing that Wanda can't fix. Seems they got word about Eva and have the city next on their list to target".

"If they're heading to the city, then they're clearly expecting me to follow - and if they can get in, then it means we have a traitor on the inside". Steve said, already feeling the anger of a possible betrayal. "

"Then we'll come with you, Barton said there wasn't too many and he killed quite a few". Sam replied.

"Where in the city would they take her?" Bucky now asked.

"Isn't it obvious?" Steve replied. "They're taking her to the court".