The Journey to Self-Discovery

Author's note: I'm going to skim a bit through Subhadra's days at Gurukul. Flashbacks will show up through snippets in her life to provide a little more insight. If anyone would like to suggest some prompts, please do and I'll dedicate the next chapter to you :)

You wouldn't say she was a natural. But then again, maybe she was. Subhadra learnt everything new with an unwavering resolve that she would accomplish it, courtesy of her brother Krishna who told her he believed in her and so, she believed in her. It worked wonders.

Subhadra had learnt classical dancing, singing, playing the veena. She had learnt exquisite swordsmanship, charioteering, archery, and Maharishi Atharva had been kind to teach her a bit about politics.

A few months into Kanyakul, one of her friends had ventured far too out into the forest while searching for firewood. Subhadra and Dushala had both gone searching for her with their firebrands. They were scared, but wouldn't admit it.

Dushala bumped into her shoulder, visibly trembling with the fear of the unknown in the forest. Subhadra let out a throaty sound, reprimanding her.

"Sorry," she whispered. "Are you sure that wild animals haven't eaten Zeenat?"

"No, Dushala." Subhadra sighed. Her friend really did jump to conclusions too fast.

There was a snapping sound behind them, and the two girls whipped their heads backwards as Dushala tightened her grip on Subhadra's arm. It was getting darker and it felt like the trees were closing in on them. They inched closer to each other, the leaves crunching under their feet. It was so silent you could hear a pin drop.

"What.....what was that?" Dushala whimpered. "If we die here, I'm blaming you."

Subhadra turned to her with a mocking cross expression. "Dushala. Trust me."

SNAP! The same snapping sound was heard, but louder this time. 

"Who is there?" Subhadra called out, her own voice echoing back. She tried to keep her own growing fear out of her voice.

"There is no greater illusion than fear, and there is no greater power than courage." Her older brothers voice drifted back to her. Subhadra strengthened her resolve and called out again, louder this time.

"Show yourself!" 

In the distance, the girls could see two figures coming towards them. Subhadra held her firebrand as to illuminate the newcomers.

"Zeenat?" Dushala called out tentatively.

A muffled sound was heard from the other end. As the two figures moved closer to the two girls, they soon realised they posed no immediate harm to them.

"Subhadra, Dushala, its me. You found me!" It was unmistakeably the voice of Zeenat. But then who was the other figure? Subhadra noticed it was a boy, no older than them. His height and build were average. He wore no royal clothes, in fact, he wore what boys in Gurukul did.

"Who is that?" Dushala whispered, only so that Subhadra could hear. Subhadra shrugged.

Their firebrands illuminated his face. He had brown eyes, a dark complexion and curly, frayed hair. He had a determined expression set on his face. He held a spear in his hand, which now stood upright as he came to a halt in front of them.

"I believe she is your friend?" He spoke clearly but hesitantly. Was he new around this area? He bore no tattoos, he wasn't a tribal. Who was he?

"Yes. She is from our Kanyakul." Dushala replied, hugging Zeenat. "How did you find her, um...?"

"Jayveer. My name is Jayveer." he said, eyeing them cautiously. He joined his hands and bowed his head. "Pranam Rajkumari."

"Please, don't," Subhadra replied.